Answered

Can Alexa be used at all with Beam and TV without HDMI-ARC?

• 29 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi there,

I currently have a Play:1 and am thinking of getting a Beam to be used with my Vizio TV, but I just discovered my TV doesn’t have an HDMI-ARC port. From what I understand, I could still set up the Beam through my TV with the included adapter but I wouldn’t be able to use Alexa to control the TV. 

That would be okay with me, however, does that also mean that Alexa wouldn’t work at all through the Beam? For example, if I set up the Beam to be on the same network as my Play:1 and my TV is off, could I still activate Alexa on the Beam through voice commands and have her play music from Spotify?

Any clarification on this topic would be helpful and please just point me to another thread if someone has already asked about it! Thanks!

Kyle 

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 29 November 2020, 11:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In an HDMI-ARC set up the Beam can command the TV via HDMI. With optical this can not be done. All voice commands that command the Sonos system are sent via wifi so can be done.

Thanks very much for the reply. That answers my question and I think that’s all the information I need. 

Kyle