Answered

Alexa and Flash Briefing

• 21 October 2017
  • 29 replies

Just doesn't seem to work. Alexa says "flash briefing" (which is an idiotic name) is starting and then nothing happens...I've checked all the proper boxes the Alexa App...even checked and unchecked different news sources...nothing. Silence. Anyone have any thoughts?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 November 2017, 23:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, try the alexa forums. It's hardly a Sonos issue!
First thought is, what does this have to do with Sonos? Sounds like you're having an issue with Amazon, unless somehow there's a Sonos speaker involved.

One conjecture could be it's a Sonos One, before release date that you're having trouble with. If so, i'm pretty sure I can't help you, I just don't have enough knowledge to assist. It's also a possibility that you've got a Echo device hooked up to the input of a Sonos device, in which case it's likely the "ducking" feature that's causing the volume of the Echo device to drop so much that it's not being heard on the speaker.

Any chance you might give more information to us, to at least have some hope of giving you more help?
The Alexa Forums HERE? Or where?
This IS a Sonos Issue...I am using a SONOS: ONE. It IS Alexa. So it is "HARDLY" a SONOS Issue.
Airgetlam
I have a new SONOS ONE. There are a million bugs to it and at this point not worth the aggrevation..but I'm trying to make everything work with it...ALEXA is the whole point of it.
Well, as I said, I just don't have enough information, since my stores won't break the date of sale indicated, which is October 24. The other point I'd raise is that the Alexa integration is still in beta, as indicated in many places across these boards and in the press releases.

That being said, can I recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at? Or perhaps avail yourself of the 24/7 coverage that Sonos provides? You can find more information about that at www.sonos.com/contact
Thanks. I've done the diagnostic submission. And the 24/7 support is incredibly slow. That's why I turned to this board. And if Alexa is in beta perhaps they shouldn't have been selling these ONES.
.Thanks. I've done the diagnostic submission. And the 24/7 support is incredibly slow. That's why I turned to this board. And if Alexa is in beta perhaps they shouldn't have been selling these ONES.

Uhhh, did you miss the fact that they actually aren't selling the ONES. :8

Anyway, you must post the reference number for the diagnostic report here in order for them to link it to you.
I've sent it to them.
I've sent it to them.

Oh jeez. :8

It doesn't matter if you sent it to them. You need to post the reference number here or they aren't going to connect it to a particular problem. They get hundreds of spurious diagnostics a day from people just messing around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Boutsik, the Sonos One is coming out tomorrow, so there are still a few things being worked on. With Alexa integration, we get the opportunity to constantly be adding features to existing players. So the Sonos One will keep on getting better and having more functionality all the time. Flash Briefing is a feature at the top of the list to be added. It's not quite ready yet. That's why it sort of works, or at least thinks it is. It'll be ready soon.

There are some features that are only going to be on Amazon Echo devices for now, like Messaging and Calling, but we're working on bringing as much as possible to the Sonos One.
Jgatie

Did YOU miss the fact that I already got mine?

In any event Sonos has stepped up and answered.
Jgatie

Did YOU miss the fact that I already got mine?

In any event Sonos has stepped up and answered.

Once again, just because you got yours does not mean they were supposed to be sold before their official release date. Some retailers broke the official date; that does not mean they are officially being sold.
Jgatie
I bought mine from SONOS. They SENT it to me. Wasn't some back alley black market deal. Anyway...Sonos has explained the issue and I look forward to updates because as it is it is still very much a work in progress.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
... because as it is it is still very much a work in progress.

Yup, that's why it's called a beta. This stuff is more technically complex than most people realise, especially when Sonos doesn't control critical elements of the solution, Amazon does. The public beta gives Sonos a chance to exercise the system at scale. Give it time, it's going to be great.

In the meantime, you have an excellent Sonos speaker, with an improving set of voice activation features.
I agree with almost everything...but at $200 a speaker--I think it should have been out of BETA before selling it...
I agree with almost everything...but at $200 a speaker--I think it should have been out of BETA before selling it...

Then I suggest you disable the beta skill and use the part of the speaker that is out of BETA.
Already done.
Flash briefing is one feature we use everyday, if this thing is not resolved before the 45 day return period , I think I have to return it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I also had problems with non-Sonos Alexa skills on the Sonos One, in my case Hue. To fix it I removed Alexa from the One via the Sonos app then added it back via the Sonos app.
I'm experiencing similar problems on my Sonos One. When I say "Alexa, play my flash briefing". Alexa on Sonos One responds "Here's your flash briefing" and then nothing else happens. Alex on my Echo works fine, of course.

I contacted Sonos support on Twitter. Here's the response I got: Flash Briefing on Sonos One is coming soon. We’re still working with our partners to make sure it delivers the best experience for our customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone,

We're working with the Alexa team and Flash Briefing will be available on the Sonos One this year, by November 22nd.
Hi everyone,

We're working with the Alexa team and Flash Briefing will be available on the Sonos One this year, by November 22nd.

Will that update include other audio streaming skills, such as Radio Paradise?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone,

Will that update include other audio streaming skills, such as Radio Paradise?

I don't believe the two are linked, though audio skills are also being worked on. I'll let you know if I hear differently, or any news specifically around some of the audio skills.
I understand all the complexities, but as my first Sonos experience I am disappointed. Should I just get some Alexa's and plug them into amplified speakers?