Answered

Sonos with Starlink Internet

• 23 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has anyone set up Sonos with Starlink internet yet?  Sounds like they don’t allow much customization on their router but it does do 2.4 and 5. Might be able to use your own router as well but rather use theirs if it works. I’ve found I have to force the 2.4 band to channel 6 to avoid interference. Might not be an option with Starlink router?

icon

Best answer by ratty 26 January 2021, 14:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Calabogie

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

Sonos is compatible with 2.4GHz WiFi signal and 802.11b/g/n modes enabled in your router. I suggest checking this article first for Sonos system requirements, it describes recommended network types for Sonos.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

• The auto channel must be set to Off.
  • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11).
  • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz.
  • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled.
  • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n.
  • Airtime Fairness should be disabled.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for that. I guess I’ll have to try it ans see what happens. Otherwise, may need to use another router. If anyone has this set up let me know!

Officially, it would be unsupported. From the system requirements article:

Unsupported network setups and devices
Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers

That said, it might work. You could always cascade a second, more cooperative, router if necessary.

A couple more qualifications:

• The 20MHz channel width stipulation only applies at 2.4GHz
  • You don’t have to have 5GHz

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hope it works!  For those of us in rural areas that have suffered horrible internet forever, this could be a godsend!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Figured I’d close the link on this in case anyone else is wondering.  Have Sonos set up to the Starlink router. It doesn’t allow for any router configurations, so I was a bit concerned. It’s working perfectly!  After years of terrible dsl speeds, Starlink is awesome!