Answered

S1 and S2 Systems Concurrently

• 9 February 2023
  • 3 replies

I was an early Sonos adopter and have a perfectly functioning system including a number of original Play 5 devices. As a result, I have never upgraded to the S2 operating system.

I would now very much like to buy a Beam Gen2, but see that that requires S2.  However, having set the beam up, i hope that I would actually need to control it with anything other than the to standard remote control. 

considering this, is it possible to continue running my S1 system in the house, but set up the beam to run independently as a to speaker only?

Thank in advance of any advice you can provide..

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 9 February 2023, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can run both S1 and S2 together in the same house it’s just no devices can be on both versions.

See Here:-

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/set-up-separate-s1-and-s2-sonos-systems

You can set BEAM to automatically play TV audio. You can usually (depending on the models) set BEAM to respond to Volume commands from the TV and/or cable box. In most cases, for day to day operations, you will not notice that there are two separate systems that don’t interoperate. You will not be able to play synchronized music on BEAM. For example, if you have a turntable attached to a PLAY:5, you will not be able to play records through BEAM.

Occasionally, you may need to manually select the TV for BEAM, for example, if you are listening to music through BEAM and want to return to TV. 

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Very much appreciated. Sounds like I can go ahead and run both systems in the same house at the same time, without too much trouble.