Answered

Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6

• 25 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have 2 WIFI networks at home.
The first [1], quite old using 2.4GHz only, is used mainly for connecting home control devices like air conditioning and other smart home devices.
The second [2] is based on 3 Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 (2.4 + 5GHz) with 1 master and 2 satellites. All devices like smartphones and tablets are by default connected to this one for much better speed and coverage in the house.

Please note that both Wi-Fi networks are connected to the same router. So, same sub-network.

I just purchased a first Sonos device to check if this would provide a flexible solution for streaming music & radio in my home. 

I can successfully connect the One SL to the old network [1] after connecting the phone to that specific WIFI network as well. But when moving back the phone the new WIFI network, the connection is gone. Of course…

On the other hand, I’m unable to connect the One SL to the new network [2]. The connection procedure is always aborted.

I also connected the One SL to the wired network to check if I can connect from either WIFI networks

Is there a compatibility issue between Sonos and Orbi ?
How can I connect this One SL to the best Wi-Fi network and reach it from all phones in the house ?
What should I do to fix this issue ?

For other devices and apps at home, I can connect the device the the old Wi-Fi network [1] and connect through the new Wi-Fi network [2].

Thank you for your help

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 January 2024, 11:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Please note that both Wi-Fi networks are connected to the same router. So, same sub-network.

You don’t mention what mode the Orbi is in. By default the primary contains a router, so all your devices aren’t actually on the same subnet. You’d need to put the Orbi into bridge (access point) mode.

Thank you for your feedback.

You’re right. Orbi was not configured properly in Access Point mode.

Fixed. Thanks for the tip.