Answered

Eero Mesh & Sonos

• 5 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I have a fairly extensive Sonos system throughout the house. I am thinking about upgrading to Frontiers Fiber Optics which uses Eero wifi. I have no clue what Eero is and how it works. My main concern is does Eero work with Sonos? How does it work with Sonos products? How many Eero Mesh do I need throughout the house? I’ve read here there have been/is issues with connecting Sonos with Eero mesh wifi. 

icon

Best answer by skullc 5 February 2024, 19:41

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I use eero mesh with no problems but my arc is hardwired to the eero mesh node its nearest to 

i have 2 moves and 2 roams that connect to the eero WiFi with no problem and i have grouped the moves with sonosnet devices and its worked seamlessly, i am also using 5g broadband not a traditional internet connection or supported by Sonos 

the advice i can give you is use sonosnet and use fixed IPs which can be setup in the eero app 

I switched over to frontier about a year or so ago and also got the free Eero mesh network that came with the package.  No issues whatsoever.  I pretty much kept the same wired/ethernet connections I had previously and use the same wifi ssid and password.  Didn’t have to change anything else.  

I do have some of my Sonos hardwired for sonosnet, but I don’t recall which one(s).  I didn’t bother reserving IP addresses and haven’t had any issues, although that’s never a bad recommendation.

Not sure if this is due to my Sonos or my Eeros, but I have constant connection issues. I have an Eero 6+ in every room, and yet the Ones being used as surrounds in my living room constantly disconnect. I have a stereo pair of Ones in my office that constantly has one of the speakers cut out. 

I'll unplug them and they'll work fine for a few minutes, and then back to regular disconnects. Maybe look into the Orbi mesh system instead, I'm considering switching to that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@dcmaia

are you using fully wireless or do you have sonosnet?

try plugging one Sonos product into Ethernet to create sonosnet so your devices show as wm:0 not wm:1

then reserve the IP addresses in the eero app when all are connected 

chances are you will get the same issues whatever mesh network you use

@dcmaia

are you using fully wireless or do you have sonosnet?

try plugging one Sonos product into Ethernet to create sonosnet so your devices show as wm:0 not wm:1

then reserve the IP addresses in the eero app when all are connected 

@skullc Sure am. To be fair, the surrounds haven't given me any trouble since using Ethernet on my Beam. The stereo pair though loves to continue cutting out. Doesn't matter if it's Spotify straight from the speakers or using AirPlay.

Not sure how much of that I can blame Sonos or Eero on though. But I've been slightly unhappy with my Eeros for a little while now which is why I mentioned a different mesh system as a better alternative.

Not so. Sonos works well on ASUS ZenWiFi.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not had any problems myself and used eero since eero 5 now on 6pro units across 3 ISP’s and 5 years now

hope you can solve your problems good luck

Pretty much any mesh should work fine when Sonos is in wired (SonosNet) mode, since all it’s carrying is control traffic. 

Sonos can be a bit more fussy about the mesh when the system’s in full wireless (WiFi) mode.