Answered

Vinyl to pair of Play:5

• 2 June 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a record player with pre-amp connected to an Onkyo receiver (without receiver, the direct connection from record player to Sonos speakers was not amp'ed enough).

I'm trying to get true stereo sound by using the two Play:5's as left/right speakers. I'm almost there but got stuck as follows:

I'm using two 3.5mm-Mini-to-RCA-Cables to connect the line-out from the Onkyo to each of two the Play:5's. Basically using one RCA cable to connect the right channel on the receiver to the right Play:5, and the second cable to connect the left channel on the receiver to the left Play:5.

I setup a room called Office to have the two speakers, and I under Room settings I can see a line in (L) and a line in (R).

So now, I can hear the music on each of the speakers just fine. But I can't figure out how to get the Sonos App to play BOTH speakers at the same time.

When I go to BROWSE to select Line-In as the source of the music... I see the two speakers... but I can only select one of them as the output speaker.

Is there a way to pair them so they both play?

Thanks
Firas
icon

Best answer by airforceteacher 2 June 2018, 20:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Are you familiar with the option to Create a Stereo Pair? Select the left speaker, and under settings you can choose to create a stereo pair. Select the right speaker as the other speaker. Then connect the lineout from the receiver to only one of the speakers' line-ins, then select that. You don't have to split right and left - the Sonos subsystem will do it for you when you create a stereo pair.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US
You are doing it wrong. Stereo pair the Play:5s, then use a dual RCA to stereo 3.5 mm to send both channels to a single line-in on one of the Play:5s.
ahhhhh... now that makes more sense. I didn't realize the app/speakers were that smart. Ok that did it.

Thanks guys!!!