Using Roam with phone's Wi-Fi hotspot

• 21 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi

Took delivery of my new Roam yesterday and am liking it so far. I have it as part of my home Sonos network and have also paired it via bluetooth to my iPhone.

I see occasions when I’d like to take the Roam out and about with me, but still be able to use Google Assistant etc, by having the Roam pair with the hotspot I can activate on my iPhone. Can this be done? I guess it would mean that the Roam would need to store the wi-fi details of both my home network and my iPhone’s hotspot. I hope this is possible.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As I understand the software, it should be able to connect to your hotspot and allow you to use Google Assistant. I’d try to make life easier and try to set up the hotspot to look the same as your home WiFi.

There is one significant caveat, though. The Sonos controller will network on the hotspot device at all, so if you plan on using the controller, it will need to be on another device that is also connected to that same hotspot.

This is in theory. I’d be interested in what results you get when trying this out. 

Badge

As I understand the software, it should be able to connect to your hotspot and allow you to use Google Assistant. I’d try to make life easier and try to set up the hotspot to look the same as your home WiFi.

There is one significant caveat, though. The Sonos controller will network on the hotspot device at all, so if you plan on using the controller, it will need to be on another device that is also connected to that same hotspot.

This is in theory. I’d be interested in what results you get when trying this out. 

Thanks. That’s encouraging. I can understand that if I force my iPhone’s hotspot to have the same SSID and password as my home wi-fi, the Roam will continue to connect to the hotspot, thinking it’s at home. If I choose not to mimic the home wi-fi, what would the process be to force the Roam to learn the new connection details?

Someone else will need to answer that. I haven’t purchased a Roam, and am not particularly familiar with the setup process. 

I’d think it would be the same as setting up a new wifi for the Move, since the software is exactly the same. And I believe there’s been reference around that the device will remember up to 10 distinct SSIDs. There’s likely an FAQ somewhere around for that.  

But for ease of use, I’d still be tempted to use the same SSID and password as my home….just so that I can remember it, if there’s any issue, without having it written down on a post-it note in my wallet. 

Hi Douglas,

Have you tried this yet? I’m interested in buying a Roam but only IF the voice assistants work with it connected to an iPhone via a wifi hotspot…… would be interested to know how you get on.

Thanks,

Adam