Unifi and Sonos - switch to wifi (Wireless) and get stability back

• 1 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

To whom it may concern.

I changed to a complete Unifi network 1 year ago with UDM pro, several switches and access points (Ac-Pro). My Sonos has been a complete nightmare ever since with audio drop outs and instability in general. (I hardwired one Sonos port hence implementing Sonos net for the entire system (2 Ports and 7 Sonos one)

Following suggestions from the internet, I tried several configuration changes to the Unifi network, but I never managed to find a solution which solved my issues.

this weekend I tried to change my Sonos system to  “Wireless” as defined by Sonos, i.e. no speaker is hooked up by Ethernet cable. This is doable for me since I have execellent wifi coverage to all speakers.

Well case closed, all issues solved!!

I just wish I had done this Long time ago, would have save me a lot of trouble and frustration.

Please note that You may need to reset each speaker and re-add to system to switch to wireless (I had to). Beware You might loose your playlists if you reset all speakers at once. I changed one at the time and did not loose my lists.

br and good luck

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m glad you now have a stable system. Hope you can now just get on with enjoying your music. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Hlistrat 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like you had Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data enabled in your UniFi settings. This blocks certain kinds of packets from travelling between the wireless and ethernet interfaces.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Hlistrat 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like you had Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data enabled in your UniFi settings. This blocks certain kinds of packets from travelling between the wireless and ethernet interfaces.

Hi Corry, Nope - disabled that long time ago. Trust me, I have been all over the place in the Unifi controller :-). Looks like the the much discussed rstp/stp is the culprit?. But I’m a happy camper now. Enjoying Sonos again finally as a “stable” system as before one year ago. 

Br

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Hlistrat 

STP - yeah, that would do it.

The important thing is you can enjoy your tunes now! Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Everything I read about Unifi leads me to the conclusion that if you cannot read and analyze a network capture, you will never get it to work with devices designed for home networks.

I am happy I stick with their idiot-proof siblings of AmpliFi hardware: you get the advantages of their obvious networking prowess, without the pain of complex configurations and compatibility issues. (And I CAN read a network capture, but its not something I want to do while my spouse is yelling at me to get the Sonos working).

Userlevel 1

Everything I read about Unifi leads me to the conclusion that if you cannot read and analyze a network capture, you will never get it to work with devices designed for home networks.

I am happy I stick with their idiot-proof siblings of AmpliFi hardware: you get the advantages of their obvious networking prowess, without the pain of complex configurations and compatibility issues. (And I CAN read a network capture, but its not something I want to do while my spouse is yelling at me to get the Sonos working).

“spouse is yelling at me to get the Sonos working” - LOL that’s exactly what made me consider ditching my entire Unifi setup, however since I solved my issue, I’m still satisfied with the damn thing after all. The UDM pro and specifically the expensive Industrial switch from Unifi is excellent hardware. I have frozen/fried several switches om my attic over the years, but this is rock solid and with excellent POE support.