Answered

TV Setup Question

• 14 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Here is what I'd like to do: Have TV sound play in the kitchen as well as on our existing non-sonos TV soundbar. Would it work to get a Play 5, connect line-in from the TV, have it NOT actually play the TV on the play 5, but select it to play to the Play 1 in the kitchen instead (while having TV play sound on the old sound bar, too)? I don't particularly want to buy the TV soundbar since we already have one. We have a Samsung smart TV. Does anybody know if this is possible?
icon

Best answer by Legnum Nick 14 October 2017, 15:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Yes, that's possible.
Line in on Sonos introduces a delay, so your Play 1 in the kitchen will be fractionally out of sync with the sound bar attached to the TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Yes, but you won't get it to work from any Line IN connections on the TV.

Line IN means the signal from something external (a camcorder, games console, PC, VCR etc) is sending its signal IN TO the TV. The circuits behind the sockets are one-way. An IN socket can only ever take signal IN TO the TV. That's why it's called an INput.

What you want is an audio socket labelled Output.

TV (audio Line Out) > connects to > Sonos Play 5 Line In.

Depending on the age,make and model of the TV there may not be an audio Line Out connection other than the Optical which you may already be using with the non-Sonos sound bar.

Some TVs still have a headphone jack socket. Again, subject to make and model the connection of a jack plug to that socket may mute all sound or mute just the TV speakers or mute nothing at all. Recently TV manufacturers have taken to driving the headphone volume from a sub-menu buried in the TVs menu structure. If you decicde to hook up via the headphone jack then refer to your TV manual about operating its volume control.

For a Line Out connection there's more info needed then

My TV is a (make).................................................................... (model)..........................................................

I am currently using the (type of connection)......................................................................... to hook up sound to my sound bar

I watch TV mostly from (delete as appropriate) the internal tuner/external source (e.g. Satellite receiver/digital TV receiver/other)

My external TV receiver is a (make) .......................................................... (model) ....................................................
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I assumed that the OP meant connect line in (on the play 5) from the TV, but you could read it your way as well Lucid.
Yes I meant from the TV to the line-in on the Play 5. Thank you!