Support LPCM 7.1 on Beam ?

• 10 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Would it be possible to add LPCM 7.1 support on the sonos beam as it was the case for the Arc recently?

I have a lot of problems with voice/image synchronization on my ps5, I ordered an HD Fury Arcana hoping that this will solve the problem.... I find it absurd to have so many problems in 2021 with formats that should have been standardized a long time ago.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Would it be possible to add LPCM 7.1 support on the sonos beam as it was the case for the Arc recently?

The LPCM codec requires eARC on the Receiver, so unfortunately the answer is ‘no’ as the Beam only has an ARC port.

Also you don’t need an Arcana to solve your lip-sync issues with the Beam, you just need a general audio extractor/splitter to by-pass the TV, which you can buy cheaply from Amazon and similar online outlets.

This link below is just one example, but maybe research such products fully before purchase:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Switcher-Optical-Toslink-Extractor/dp/B07YD2CLMY

Hope that assists.

Badge

Thank you for your feedback.

I just canceled my Amazon order for the Arcana...I have to admit I'm annoyed at spending 229e for a sync problem! (Half the price of the beam!!)

But I don't see how to connect the ps5, TV and beam to this box. Should I use the spdif output?

Sincerely

Just to add, there are many other audio splitters/extractors and that was just one I came across in a quick ‘random’ search of Amazon. You will likely find many (many) others on that site and elsewhere online.

‘Yes’, in that particular case of a (cheap) audio extractor/splitter the Optical adapter is used and the device connects to the Beam over the optical port and to the TV over HDMI ARC.. and it provides for two HDMI input devices (such as a PS5 and a Fire TV etc.), but there are similar products that may connect far more input devices (if needed) and you may find more expensive ones that may connect to the Beam over ARC, but for just trying to bypass the TV for lip-sync 5.1 Dolby Digital audio, which the Beam supports, the cheap extractors using the optical port will be fine. However I recommend you research things in more detail perhaps before purchase. 

There maybe other users here in the community too who maybe able to suggest products that they use for this purpose too.

The main things to look out for is that the audio extractor/splitter has the necessary HDMI ports you need for your connected external devices, that it supports Dolby Digital 5.1/Pass-Through audio and has support for HDMI-ARC.

Also note that such devices (and Arcana) which are used for the audio to by-pass the TV, do not solve any lip-sync issues perhaps experienced from the TV’s own ‘built-in’ Apps - this only solves things for external devices and any Apps on those devices, just so there is no misunderstanding of what these extractor devices can achieve.

HTH

Badge

Thank you for all these explanations....what more could you ask for! I don't have any sync issues with the apps built into the TV, only with the ps5 in bitstream DD. 

I'm going to investigate further and go for a simple audio extractor, even if I have to use the spdif adapter. I'm only looking to have 5.1 without audio lag, nothing more for now.

I hope that sonos will release physical speakers, even on battery to be placed in height and that they will integrate Dolby atmos in order to enjoy a true dolby atmos, as they did for the classic DD 5.1.

Thanks in any case!