Question

Sub - does it require wired ethernet

• 10 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

I was a bit surprised that connecting Amp to Arc required they both be connected to wired ethernet. It wasn’t a big problem - just required some wiring.

Now that I’m preparing to purchase sub, am I going to have the same requirement - or can sub complete my home theater via wifi?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

There is no such requirement for the Arc and Amp, and i am not sure how you have concluded there is.  Where did you read that? It is necessary with the Connect:Amp when used for surrounds, but not the Amp.

The Sub is best not wired.

Userlevel 2

Thanks - my statement was about the Amp used as rear channel surrounds. Since I’ll be using the sub as part of the same home theater setup, I was concerned that it too would want to be wired just like the Arc did. I had no problem bringing a wired connection to the Arc, but would have a considerable one bringing one to the Sub.

I’m taking your statement of “The Sub is best not wired” to confirm that its not required to be wired when part of a home theater setup, unlike the Arc which is.

To repeat. You did not have to use Ethernet in order to use the Amp to drive rear speakers for the Arc. That is completely unnecessary.  The whole thing can be wireless.

And Sonos HT setups are designed to use direct routing over 5GHz between the main HT device (here, the Arc) and Sub and surrounds. So it really is better not to wire them.

Userlevel 2

Sorry John - missed that. Not sure why the sonos app told me that it was required for me to connect ethernet to my amp to use them as rear surrounds - it was a very explicit message that I could not bypass.

I started my setup with the amp as wired and arc as wireless- figured maybe starting the amp wired was the cause, so I enabled wifi and disconnected its ethernet but had the same outcome and message. Must have been some operator error or a bug. 

Perhaps I’ll go back now that they are paired and see if I can’t switch them both back to wifi without error.

You have an Amp not a Connect:Amp? Connect:Amp must be wired. It is fine to wire the Arc.

All your devices should have 'wifi enabled ' whether wired or not. 

Userlevel 2

Just Amp. The new one. Finally retired my CR100s and took some credits for my original zone players. Sorry I wasn’t clear. Wifi is enabled on both Amp and Arc, and both are wired. Will test drop the wires at some point and see if I break the internet or not. Sub is ordered with confirmation it will be good wifi.

Thanks!