Answered

STP being blocked by Unmanaged switches

• 13 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi everyone. I have had ongoing issues with my Sonos devices. Every month or so, my LAN ports are all taken out for a few minutes before fixing themselves. I have been using this great community and found it could have been a broadcast storm causing the issues. I have turned off wifi on one of my players and so far so good. I'll have to wait and see if it works in the long term, but I feel confident.

Part of the issue, I think, is I have had two switches between two players. They are unmanaged very simple D-Link GO-SW-5G switches. I checked with D-Link who have told me they would block STP BDPU packets. I then looked at TP-Link SG105 switches and TP-Link told me they would also block STP BDPU packets. I did read that most switches would pass through these packets. So if looking for a switch that would pass all packets through, what should I look for? Or any models you could recommend?

Thank you in advance.
icon

Best answer by ratty 13 September 2019, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Switches that have a known problem are identified here. It sounds like your TP-Link devices should be added to the list.

Most dumb switches should be fine. I'd simply go for Netgear, obviously avoiding the few older models listed in the referenced article.
Badge
Thank you ratty. This makes sense. I'll look at Netgear.
Badge
For anyone who might read this. I made a mistake with the TP-Link advice, they said the TP-Link SG105 would not block BDPU packets. D-Link said their switch would though.