Stereo pair playing from 1 speaker when grouped with another room

• 12 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi, 

I have a number of Sonos Plays, 2 are set as a stereo pair in my kitchen. When playing music independently of other rooms they play fine. If I group them with another room the right hand speaker stops playing, only the left one works. I can pause and restart the music as well as leave and rejoin the group from the button on the right speaker.

I have factory reset the right hand speaker, remade the stereo pair set and completed True Play. All works fine until I group the speakers with another room. 

This has only just started to occur after working fine for the last 2+ years. I have made no network changes in my property, everything has remained the same. 

Ideas for a fix on this issue please.

Thanks
Stuart 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stueyg.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, kindly reproduce the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number. I’d start by reviewing your system and see what could possibly cause this issue.

I’m looking forward assisting you from here.

If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge

Hi Annazel,

Thanks for your assistance here :smiley:

I have submitted 2 diagnostics in case this helps you. 

The first 1251189115 is with the issue reproduced. 2 x stereo pairs playing music in ‘kitchen’ and ‘lounge’ I can confirm all speakers worked except kitchen right hand. 

I then sent 1701915645 with this I stopped the music in both rooms and resumed playing just on the kitchen stereo pair. Both speakers in the kitchen worked fine. 

I have sent the 2 diagnostics in case you can see differences. 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Stuart

Badge

Hi Annazel,

I have some more information for you. Tonight I brought the remainder of my speakers into the mix.

Having started listening in isolation on the stereo pair in the kitchen I then brought in another stereo pair of Ones in bedroom and lounge as well as a single One in spare room and a Move in bathroom - thus I had music throughout the house.

I checked the kitchen and both speakers were fine, however when I went into the lounge one of the stereo pair (left) was not working, but again I could control the music from the button on top. I took another diagnostic 671232139 in case it helps.

I later turned the bedroom stereo pair off and then noticed while both speakers in lounge were on, the left was slightly out of sync with the other speaker. All other speakers including the kitchen were fine. I hope this helps.

Thanks and regards

Stuart

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stueyg.

Thanks for your responses and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, symptoms indicative of Interference have been detected on one or more Sonos components running on your network. I see that that the speakers are not using the same wireless channel and ideally, Sonos works best if all the components are set on the same WiFi channel. Please check this article that will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

If you are using a local WiFi network with more than one WiFi hub or access point, I recommend that you can try to switch your system toSonosNet by wiring just one standalone Sonos device to your primary WiFi hub or router, that begins the WiFi network. Attempt music playback, or any other activity to Sonos that was previously failing, and see if the problem will be resolved.

Wait for about 3 minutes, then submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation so I can check if there will be changes.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge

Hi again Annazel,

Thanks again for your further reply and yes I use a multi node mesh WiFi system.

I will connect one of the Ones to the main router, I presume you do not mean the speaker to be permanently connected to the router, more so just for testing?

Also you say stand-alone does this mean not one half of a stereo pair? 

Thanks in advance for confirming

Best regards

Stuart 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stueyg.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, this is for troubleshooting purposes to isolate the issue and to perhaps identify where the problem might be coming from, try to temporarily wire one of your standalone speakers directly to the router to create a SonosNet. Please submit a diagnostic while on this set up for us to see the difference and if we will get any progress.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Badge

Hi Annazel,

I have done as you suggested, diagnostic report is 204651351; what does it look like from your side. 

I seem to have everything working again at my end 😀

regards

Stuart 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stueyg.

Thanks for your response and for providing us a diagnostic. 

I'm glad to hear that everything is working again, and I appreciate your patience in working through this.

Upon checking on the diagnostic, I’m no longer seeing the errors that were initially detected but your system might still encounter interferences and for your reference, this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.