Answered

Spanning Tree Route

• 8 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi All, 

I’ve just looked at my matrix and can see that the ‘Master Bedroom’ is a weak connection… however the matrix also shows that from the kitchen to the master bedroom the link (if it were chosen) is pretty good. So my question is why is Sonos deciding to link the master bedroom directly to ‘Bridge’ which is a wired device, rather than hopping through kitchen… i.e

Rather than

Bridge → Master Bedroom

would it not be better to choose

Bridge → Kitchen → Master Bedroom

Any thoughts on the logic? Here’s the matrix 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 August 2021, 22:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It’s the least-cost path to the root and the connection is clearly regarded as being good enough… Perhaps see this link for a far more in-depth explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

thanks for the info. I’m very familiar with STP and costs etc…. just didn’t seem realistic that the cost would be more for the 2 good hops rather than this pretty weak connection… I guess if it drops out too much, the cost might change and it’ll select a better route. Fingers crossed! 

Cheers

The noise floor for BRIDGE is OK, not great. Moving BRIDGE a foot or two might help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Not related to your issue but...

The Bridge is really old tech, SonosNet v 1.0 and many of them are seeing issues from failing power supplies.

Have you considered wiring one of your speakers to Ethernet or if that isn’t possible swapping out the Bridge for a much better Boost? I think Sonos might even have a discount for that swap.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That's for the thoughts... Although it's called Bridge, it's actually a Sonos Connect device.... It doesn't have an amp connected to it and it's literally used to make a wired connection back to my network cabinet. It's old tech too though I know.... I am going to wire in my kitchen speaker when a new reel of cable arrives... It's a Play 1..... Again superseded now. 

I've been a Sonos user for a long time and have spent a lot of money on the kit. I'm loathed to spend a load more updating everything to S2... Although that would be lovely... Only for them to attempt to pull the plug on that kit a few more years down the line. 

Ideally I'd by soundbar, sub, pair some Ones etc... It's just too expensive. I can't even use my iPad to control the S1 system any more as they supposed supporting the os it uses... I'm a massive one for change, development and improvement, but when customers have spent so much I really do think everything should at least remain working.... Even if the old app was still available for use without receiving updates.