Sonos STP network settings - Can anyone refute what's stated here in this thread link?

• 11 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Be it other peer integrators here in this Sonos community, or Sonos staff if they happen to look at this community page?

Thanks!

https://community.ui.com/questions/BEGGING-for-an-official-press-released-step-by-step-How-to-configure-Unifi-with-Sonos-from-Ubiquiti/4cfdba27-12f6-4237-b113-b338fa473ac8

Is this correct that there’s no true way to foolproof 100% correctly configure Sonos on managed switch networks? Per the dated way of networking protocols in software wrting that Sonos does STP wise? 

3 replies

UDM Pro’s don’t support STP. The UBIQUITI controller’s user interface does not make this clear. Don’t wire any SONOS units to the UDM Pro.

Badge +4

@buzz I definitely haven't wired Sonos devices to any of their Unifi Gateways. Learned the hard way a couple years back on a jobsite, to not plug them into the UDM-Pro models. 🤣

All the network environment settings referenced in that Ubiquiti thread, were all setups where installers had the Sonos devices wired on switches that are all post the UDM-Pro in the topology chain.

Unbelievably Sonos can’t fix this 100% of the time. This is their business. They advertise mixed use between wired and wireless systems but if it does work 99% of the time they shouldn’t promote it. I have 18 amps and various wireless Sonos speakers split between two managed switches and it’s a nightmare. Going 100% wireless doesn’t give me the bandwidth and distance I need. What a shame Sonos doesn’t focus more on solving this. If a true fix is found please ping me. There should be clear instructions on how to navigate this for all the major switches.