Answered

Sonos Setup

• 12 June 2023
  • 6 replies

I have an amp, arc, sub gen 1, two Era 100’s as surround back. Great ease for watching TV. However, I have a turntable and want to listen to it through the surrounds. In asking support once how to enable me to listen to the turntable, then switch to tv or music, was told by support that it would require a completely different set up and any time I want to switch between TV and music to go to turntable listening. Were they correct, that it required a new setup in Sonos 2 app each time. This sounded totally ridiculous and short sighted on Sonos’s part, but who am I to question. I assumed the fellow was wrong on the support line, so hung up and waited till I have a little time to try again. Called in again, and now, after reading and getting support on the phone to find a solution AGAIN, they told me the same thing. Can this be right??? Can I set up a ROOM for TV / Music and a ROOM for Turntable, they said NO. I feel like sending all the Sonos equipment back. this seems ridiculous….is it really this crazy or does someone have a different answer?????

icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 June 2023, 22:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, you’re asking the surrounds to act in a completely different manner, no longer being support speakers as surrounds, but instead ‘main’ speakers using the line in. Changing from one to the other requires re-setup. 

I assume you will be returning the SONOS equipment. As you research other equipment be sure to investigate exactly how the proposed equipment will handle this requirement because it is not a standard feature. In some cases you will be able to mute the front speakers, but this may not automatically disable the surround processing. Also, if you allow family members and guests to operate the system, will the user interface be reasonable for them?

You can certainly set up a room for TV and a room for music in the same app.  You just can't use the same set of speakers (or subset of speakers) in both rooms.  So you could have the TV room you have now, then buy a 3rd Era 100 with the line in adapter for the turntable music room.  Even better, you can default the line-in on the third 100 to play in the TV room, basically using the third 100 as line in only.  You can also play music in both rooms or one room at a time.

Thanks for your responses. I had a denim receiver that switched cleanly between turntable, and TV. Just don’t understand why it seems so basic. I have the turntable, TV and all equipment in my family room. If I buy a third Era 100, , I have an in line adapter, but don’t want to physically move them to another room, just want Amp to think it is another room??

That’s Denon

Thanks for your responses. I had a denim receiver that switched cleanly between turntable, and TV. Just don’t understand why it seems so basic. I have the turntable, TV and all equipment in my family room. If I buy a third Era 100, , I have an in line adapter, but don’t want to physically move them to another room, just want Amp to think it is another room??

Room names are just names, it doesn't have to correspond to where the unit is located.  Put it wherever you wish, and name it Turntable, or Record Player, or Fred, the name is just a name.

And the reason why your Denon is different is because the speakers are wired.  The wireless nature of Sonos means the home theater components have to be configured differently than the music components due to the low latency and small buffer required to sync the audio with TV sources.  This configuration is good for low latency, but does not go room to room very well, as opposed to the music configuration which goes through walls and floors much better, but requires a significant buffer which is useless for synching to video.   Because of these different configurations, and the time required to set up a handshake between components, switching from one to the other on the fly is not possible.