Sonos Port and BT headphones - Need some specifics please.

• 30 July 2022
  • 3 replies

There are threads on this topic which have been very helpful.  But, I have some questions before I begin to buy anything.

My setup:  Turntable/CD player to RCA switch to Port to Sonos Ones stereo paired in 5 rooms.  

I am most interested in listening to the best quality music (streaming/Vinyl/CD) I can through Apple AirPod Max.

I am believe I am comfortable with all the necessary protocols to get this to work, and work well (BT 5.0, Aptx...)

My intent/hope is to use the digital out on the Port to a BT transmitter.  

My questions:

• Is there a BT transmitter option where I can forego an adaptor?  It seems most (if not all) have an optical in.  Can you go Port digital out to digital in on a bluetooth transmitter?  
  • If so, do you know of a BT transmitter with this option?
  • If not, can I get some recommendations on a setup to use the Port digital out to coax/optical converter to BT transmitter? Again, going for highest quality sound achievable to AirPod Max. 
  • Once I have this up and running.  I assume if I chose the room where I have the Port setup in the Sonos 2 app, that will send the music to the BT transmitter and on to my headphones?
  • If that is the case then I assume you can listen to headphones and Sonos One simultaniously?  Not sure this is useful, just curious.
  • Once I am up and running it seems the headphones will connect automatically to the BT transmitter.  This could be annoying.  Do the BT transmitters have on/off switches to prevent this.  
  • Anything else I need to know?

I would love to go wired headphones through a headphone amp.  But, I will get so much more bang for my buck using my AirPods Max, even if it has to sacrifice some audio quality. 

Lot’s of questions, I know.  Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Here’s a link to FiiO BTA30 Pro Hi-Res TX/RX with coax digital connection - I’ve been looking at this one myself, but not yet made a purchase decision…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-BTA30-Pro-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B09J48ZPD4

Hope that assists your ongoing research.

I would love to go wired headphones through a headphone amp.  But, I will get so much more bang for my buck using my AirPods Max, even if it has to sacrifice some audio quality. 

It’d be a significant sacrifice then. Those headphones only support SBC and AAC codecs. I’ve yet to meet a standalone AAC transmitter, so you’re left with the indifferent Bluetooth default codec SBC.

The FiiO BTA30 Pro does AAC RX, but not AAC TX. 

If you want the best quality BT audio from a standalone transmitter you’d need headphones that support aptX-HD or Sony’s LDAC. 

Thank you!  Ugh ratty, making this a hard decision.  I may have to throw down for a headphone amp and hifi headphones.  Having the AirPods max seemed like a good idea but now I’m not sure.

If I do, the FiiO BRA30 looks perfect.  

Thanks for the input.