Answered

Sonos Playbar

• 17 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Frequently unable to connect Sonus Playbar to network.  Says “unable to connect to Sonus network”.  It seems to connect when it wants and when going through the reconnect or find devices it finds the Playbar but gives the above message.  Tried simultaneously hitting the play and + or - and still getting above message.  Tried unplugging and closing Sonos app and opening - nothing!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 September 2023, 10:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Sonos PLAYBAR connects to a 2.4 GHz network, not a 5 GHz network, just in case that’s what you’re running. 

Also, you need to have the ‘radio/wifi’ turned on in the room settings for the PLAYBAR.

Have you tried an Ethernet cable running from the PLAYBAR to your router, at least to get it set up? While extremely rare, there have been a handful that seem to have broken their Wi-Fi circuitry, usually quickly resolved by a call to Customer Support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to the recommendations from Bruce, please see my post: 

Thanks for the advice.  Yes, I tried a Orbi Satellite connection to my Playbar and, although it got the Playbar’s attention, it indicated I needed to disconnect the Wired connection as it is a WiFi device.  After this it did connect finally through a number of follow up steps to press the play and + sign and connect to my network.  However, it keeps going in and out of the network plus I have an Apple TV 4K device and the remote sometimes controls or not the Playbar volume.  These are very annoying issues, as all I want to do is turn on my TV/Playbar and control the volume and have it be on my network.  I also have an Orbi Mesh network that adjusts automatically for each device between 2.4 and 5 GHz as required.  Also, I didn’t see the option in settings to turn on the ‘radio/wifi’ in the room settings for the PLAYBAR.

The PLAYBAR doesn’t get any commands from your network. The only place it receives input from is the remote control, which must be in IR mode.

The optical connection that you have connecting your PLAYBAR to your TV is carrying sound only, and no volume adjustments. All ‘volume’ commands must come in via IR.

Thank you for your response.  I read that the Playbar can learn from your regular TV remote by pressing the + button on your remote.  Then, your settings will transfer automatically to your Apple TV 4K remote so you can use it to change the volume.  The Apple 4K remote is IR.  Please let me know where I’ve going wrong with this, as I feel this should be pretty simple but it’s not working all the time.  Note, it is working occasionally to use my Apple TV 4K remote to control the Playbar volume.

Thanks,

Ed

There’s a whole process on how to train your PLAYBAR to your remote, once you’ve set it to IR, here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @edfree1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Regarding your Playbar’s connectivity, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope they are able to help.