Answered

Sonos One became invisible in AppleTV AirPlay sound options

• 15 November 2020
  • 12 replies

Up to yesterday I was able to connect to a pair of Sonos One via Airplay/Wifi (same network) from my AppleTV 4K and used the Ones as Speakers for movie sound - worked fine.

Since of today, the Sonos speakers are not visible any more in AppleTV's "audio and sound" setting.

As I have in total 4 Wifi Access Points in the house, I played with them too. The Sonos connects to one, the AppleTV to another. However, all devices are in the same subnet.

I can stream to the Sonos speakers from other Apple devices in the Network via AirPlay without problems.

Any idea? How can I check what could be wrong?

icon

Best answer by Mkringl1 20 November 2020, 16:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @wgeithner, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you figure it out.

To be able to stream via AirPlay from your Apple TV 4K on Sonos speakers, they should be connected to the same WiFi network. Let me suggest the following steps to check if this would help out.

1. Any changes in your Apple TV AirPlay settings? Is “Everyone” selected to allow access?
  2. Have you tried rebooting your Apple TV and your Sonos devices to refresh the connection?
  3. If you turn off your WiFi Access Points, were you able to stream AirPlay from your Apple TV?

The steps provided are only the basic troubleshooting steps that you can perform. You have identified that other devices can stream AirPlay but not your Apple TV. We only have limited information with Apple TV, If you’re still experiencing the same, I recommend contacting Apple TV support for further assistance. 

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

I’m having the same issue with my Sonos Play 5’s. They disappeared as an audio output choice on my apple TV sometime in the past few days. I can still airplay to them via either my macbook or iphone, but the ability to stream a concert on youtube / nugs.net via apple tv and use sonos for sound is gone (sigh).

@Rowena B. : Of your suggestions I tried

• I rebooted the Apple TV and the Sonos speakers - multiple times
  • I reset the speaker and re-configured multiple times and changed Wifi settings
  • I rebooted access points several times, cleaned up my Wifi-settings (channels, network IDs, etc)
  • AirPlay access is set to “everyone”
  • I have two Wifi networks: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, I switched on the AppleTV between the two - no changes. Sonos speakers are logged in 2.4 GHz network
  • I switched between the Sonos Network channels

I am completely puzzled, as everything worked a day before.

@wgeithner@jmv2020 

Are you running a beta release of tvOS? If so, Sonos does not support them since they are subject to constant development. Either revert to the current production version or wait patiently until the programming error has been fixed.

@Smilja 

No, I am running a standard tvOS version. The Apple TV is switched to “automated updates” so I always get the newest standard releases, but I never installed beta releases.

Not that sophisticated - just regular Apple TV

I too am having the same issue for about 2 weeks now.

As an update to my initial question I want to share the system information of our system.

AppleTV:

• model A1842 (32GB), tvOS 14.2 (18K57)

Sonos:

• speaker 1: Sonos one model A100, Sonos OS S2, OS version: 12.2.1 (build 61183170), hardware-version 1.21.1.8-2.1
  • speaker 2: Sonos one model A200, hardware version 1.26.1.6-2.1, same system information like the other

As well as a feedback: we see the problems with the Sonos system as a major reason not to invest into a Sonos Arc sound system. Instead we will stay with our existing amplifier driven 5.1 hifi system equipped with new passive speakers.

@wgeithner  I found this in another forum. https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/apple-tv-wont-connect-with-airplay-6847724    Maybe this will work for you. Seems like the iOS update changed some stuff

@wgeithner, Are you aware of the fact that you don’t need Airplay with a HomeTheater speaker attached to the TV set?

@Mkringl1 : Thanks for the link! this solved my problem! As it seems, an update by Apple changed the user interface for the coupling of Airplay devices - or maybe the option for Couling via the “Menu” was there all the time, but I never used it.

@Smilja: yes I am aware of that. However, one issue in our setup is that the Sonos ARC has only one USB-connector. I guess the design assumption is that you connect the ARC to your TV and you keep it connected all the time. We want to connect the Sonos ARC in a changing environment once TV-Set (where it is no problem), once DLP project, both supplied by an AppleTV. Using the TV-set seems not to be a problem, as it has two HDMI ARC connectors. In the projector environment, the projector has only one output connector so I do not see an option to connect the projector and the AppleTV at the same time. There we need Airplay definitely, even knowing that this is a second best solution.