sonos causing wifi drop out

• 8 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Looking for help please Community.

Just changed broadband providers and have an issue whereby my speaker will cause the WiFi speed to virtually drop off. This usually happens at around 20 minutes of usage.

Broadband company initially (and naively) couldn't find an issue

They have since changed what I presume is my IP address and are adamant that this will fix. They did this after I ran a ping and tracert test on the network.

Nothing has changed however and I have gone back to them again.

will they done this as there was a possible conflict with the Sonos set up IP?

I have moved the speaker to 5ghz but this has no effect

Shell is my new provider and they seem quote useless!!

Had no issues of the sort in the past with other providers

Wishing I had never gone with Shell now but unfortunately tied in!

I have seen something similar being asked in on here but no real resolution was ever posted.

Any ounce of help would be much appreciated 

Kind regards and Merry Christmas 

Darren

3 replies

Check for duplicate IP addresses.

When you change routers it is necessary to shut down, then reboot everything. (renewing all of the DCHP assigned addresses)

How many wired SONOS units are on your network?

I’m speculating that there might be a network storm. You can check this by shutting down most items, then check PING times. Next, bring a new item online and check PING’s again, after giving a potential storm time to build.

Thank you for your help,, I have performed the Re-boot on my wireless devices and ping times are averaging out the same 

I just have one Sonos play 5 - 2nd Gen in operation.

I'm leaning towards the router at fault. As I have changed broadband suppliers twice whilst having the same setp, and number of wireless devices connected without any issue

Never had any issue whatsoever at switch over.

Again, thankyou for your help, I will run through again what you have suggested.

I recently changed ISP’s and there was an issue between my PC and the new Gateway configuration. SONOS was fine. Prior to swapping Gateways, I had shut down everything on the network.