Sonos Boost frustrations

• 1 August 2023
  • 5 replies

I’ve recently got hold of a Sonos Boost to use with my existing system of 8 Sonos products.
I connected the power and Ethernet cable as required. I then pressed the join button which causes the light to flash orange. 
after about 10 seconds the light goes white again. 
The app is not giving me any indication that the Boost is actually connected and working. There are no promps to add it to my system and the literature I can find online is not helpful as this relates mostly to the old app version. 
Can you give me any advice?

Thanks! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

In the Sonos app, go to Settings > System > About My System. If the Boost is connected and working, all non-portable and non-Era Sonos devices should show as “WM: 0”.

Usually, you would need to go through the ‘add a device’ process, to add the BOOST to your system. 

Thank you. Progress so far….

I did a factory reset which enabled the app to locate the Boost. I have updated it and now all my speakers APART from my Era 300 and Era 100 are on the correct network. 

is there a way to solve this? 

No, the Era speakers will not ever connect to SonosNet. They will work properly, just while connected to your standard WiFi. 

The Era speakers are the first series that don’t use SonosNet. (Oops, that’s incorrect, the Move and Roam also don’t use SonosNet). Lots of speculation around that , but Sonos isn’t talking. However, you could certainly argue that ‘normal’ routers these days are much more capable than the ones in use when Sonos first came out with SonosNet. 

And I’m with you, I still run the vast majority of my speakers on SonosNet using a BOOST, mostly because I want to remove as much of that traffic as possible from my WiFi, and it’s not convenient for me to have a speaker close enough to my router not to use a BOOST. 

Thanks very much, I’ve learned a lot today! I’m in the same boat. I’d like as little traffic as possible so I picked up the Boost.