Sonos ARC and DTS Support

• 29 December 2020
  • 19 replies

Badge

Why for the love of god does SONOS not support DTS audio?  No workarounds, no suggestions to look at buying a deconverter.  No I don’t want to RIP my blu rays and connect a server to watch a movie.  I want to understand why SONOS cannot support DTS audio?  Primarily BluRay 4k HD user.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Arc now supports multichannel LPCM. Set your Blu-ray player to convert DTS to PCM and you should get multichannel PCM 5.1 from all of your DTS-encoded Blu-rays and UHD discs which sounds just as good as DTS-HD Master Audio.

Badge

I tried that and on the Sonos app /system/ it reads 5.1 LPCM however I’m only hearing front left & front right and center channel I’m not hearing any rears 

Badge

And when on PCM I don’t get Atmos so I have to continuously go to the Blu-ray player and flip that setting off and on. However if DTS was supported it’s a non-issue

There are tons of threads over the years where people have discussed this topic. You’ll probably get a better answer by searching for existing topics.

Userlevel 7

Taking 10 seconds to change a setting on your player is not that difficult. And many players, including my own, have separate settings for Dolby audio and DTS audio.

What specific player do you have?

Userlevel 7

I tried that and on the Sonos app /system/ it reads 5.1 LPCM however I’m only hearing front left & front right and center channel I’m not hearing any rears 

What is your specific setup? What TV and Blu-ray player are you using?

Badge

It’s not difficult it’s just ridiculous. 

Badge

Sony ubp-x800

Userlevel 7

Sony ubp-x800

Be sure BD Audio Mix Setting, DTS Neo:6, and Audio DRC are all set to Off.

What specific disc are you testing?

Badge

Hi I have RokuTCL6 65” class.  And using Skyfall 4k DTS and Kingsman 4k, Blues Brothers 4k and the MI movie in DTS.  they show 5.1 in app.  I’ll do a reset and do the settings again.   I am also replacing my HDMI cables all the way around this afternoon.  

Userlevel 7

Hi I have RokuTCL6 65” class.  And using Skyfall 4k DTS and Kingsman 4k, Blues Brothers 4k and the MI movie in DTS.  they show 5.1 in app.  I’ll do a reset and do the settings again.   I am also replacing my HDMI cables all the way around this afternoon.  

New cables are always good. Also make sure your TV settings for eARC are set to Auto Detect.

Badge

I have the tv squared away.  When the tv is set to auto detect i get awful sound.  

When I set tv audio to PASSTHROUGH I get better sound.  With the BluRaysettings as above I am seing only “Stereo PCM 2.0” on the SONOS, but that still is better than only front left and front right speaker.

Badge

I’m not in love with the DVD player.  I just picked it up Sunday.  I could swap it out.  It doesn't everything else so well, just this PCM / vs DTS audio out is choring me.  I’m replacing all with hi speed HDMI in a couple hours so i’ll see.  I used the old xbox HDMI cable for the new BRay but it’s still high speed, just a little older.  

Userlevel 7

Is your TV equipped with HDMI eARC? Is your TV up to date with the latest firmware?

Badge

When I set the Bluray to Digital Ouput to AUTO,  and the TV to PASSTHROUGH I get “DOLBY MULTICHANNEL LPCM 5.1” on the Sonos app but actually audio is only through the arc (2 channel) not the surrounds.  If I set Sony bluray to  Digital output PCM i get “Stereo 2.0” on the Sonos app and left and right audio from the surrounds.    TV is set to PASSTHROUGH so HDMI arc signal should be going direct into SONOS Arc.  When I set tv to AUTO i get stereo 2.0.  Passthrough i get the LPCM message above.  It seems to be a sonos software issue imo.

Thanks

Badge

yes tv hdmi earc, connected to net, latest firmware.  Again it works fantastic with an ATMOS bluray 4k DVD.  It’s just the SONOS and introducing this LPCM workaround.  If DTS were available we’d both have an hour plus back of our lives.

Userlevel 7

So strange. If you are getting Dolby Atmos from Atmos discs, then it isn’t a cable issue.

Badge

Its DTS and SONOS issue.  I mean for the all in pricing structure they have it’s not thinking too outside of the box to just license DTS and update.  I mean do you know how many posts and support chat boards there are on the subject?  it’s pretty lame.  the one thing that would cause a Cragislist sale of all SONOS and rebuild something else.  It’s that annoying.    I appreciate the info.  

Here’s one that’s similar to my situation:  https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/jsef3x/any_tcl_tv_owners_getting_lpcm_audio_with_the_arc/

Userlevel 7

Based on that reddit thread, it looks like it’s a TCL issue too. Most TVs equipped with eARC can pass through multichannel PCM but apparently the TCL currently isn’t able to.

Another option, besides purchasing a new TV or a different soundbar, is to get the HD Fury Arcana which will allow the audio from the Sony UHD player to bypass your TV and go directly to the Sonos Arc. I use the Arcana because my TV is really old. It works great with my Panasonic UHD player/Sonos Arc setup.