Answered

Sonos AMP Trueplay?

Badge +1
Do we know yet whether the new Sonos AMP supports Trueplay?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 November 2018, 18:44

The Sonos Amp will support Trueplay in some specific configurations and with specific speakers.

It's buried in a few pages in this thread.

Reposting the specifics here,

Ryan S wrote:

Trueplay can currently be used with Amp in two setups:
1. When it is operating as the surrounds for a Beam, Playbar, or Playbase.
2. When the Amp is configured on its own with the Sonance speakers we're working with them to produce.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
The Sonos Amp will support Trueplay in some specific configurations and with specific speakers.

It's buried in a few pages in this thread.

Reposting the specifics here,

Ryan S wrote:

Trueplay can currently be used with Amp in two setups:
1. When it is operating as the surrounds for a Beam, Playbar, or Playbase.
2. When the Amp is configured on its own with the Sonance speakers we're working with them to produce.

Badge +1
Thanks Ryan, that's clear. Do we know whether Sonance will be producing any freestanding speakers imminently or will they be 'in wall' / 'in ceiling' type? Failing that, Is there any chance any time soon that Connect will be upgraded to support Trueplay on 3rd party (non-Sonance, non-Sonos) speakers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
We're working with Sonance to make outdoor, ceiling, and in-wall speakers, no bookshelf type or free standing speakers have been announced at this time, but I'll pass the note along at you're interested in that.

Trueplay requires a lot of information about the sonic footprint of the speaker that's being tuned. That's why the Amp is only really able to handle things when we know what the speaker connected sounds like. Because of this, the Connect can't do any tuning for third party speakers. I'll also pass along a suggestion for this, but I don't have any details or rumors to let you in on if this would be possible in the future.
Badge +1
That's clear, thanks. One final question if I may. Can Sonos AMP connect to Play 3s (or anything else) wirelessly with the same low latency (c 30ms) that Playbar has when bonded to Play 3's as surrounds? i.e. could Sonos AMP drive a pair of Play 3's as FL and FR with 30ms (rather than the usual c 83ms) latency? Or is the idea that Sonos AMP is for wired speakers only?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings