Question

Sonos Amp and amount of outdoor speakear if using in wall volume control

• 27 January 2021
  • 1 reply

New outdoor setting. Looking to connect 3 sets of sonos outdoor speakers to a sonos amp. Can I do it with 3 in wall volume controls? I know the setting would be from the amp to the volume control and then the speakers. So I’m wondering will I lose the capability of 3 sets of speakers by adding the volume control?  Don’t mind playing the same thing but definitely need different volume levels. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

My understanding is that the Sonance speakers and amp send signals along the speaker wire so that they are aware of the connection and the speakers will have the proper impendence.    I would think using volume controls in between would break that connection, but do not know for sure.  

Instead of rely on that connection to manage impedance, I would look into to get a separate speaker switch.  That would also mean you could connect up to 4 pairs of speakers and would not need to use the Sonance/Sonos speakers. 

Another option would be to ditch the volume control switches and just get two amps with your 3 pair of speakers (if that works for you). That may cost a bit more, but would give you more functionality, and you could make the cost of additional amp with cheaper speakers and no volume control switches to install.