Answered

SONOS 5 and Deco M4

• 3 November 2023
  • 9 replies

I have just set up 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units connected to my Virgin hub (now as a modem rather than a router) 

My 2 SONOS 5 speakers no longer connect by wifi.

If I hardwire one SONOS 5 to the first Deco with an ethernet cable I can get it to work but I am unclear how I would connect the other. On line help is a bit uncertain about what can be done.

If I add a network switch to the first Deco does that mean I have more ports that act as if they were part of the main Deco and so will support 2 SONOS 5's? Probably a question I need to direct at TP-Link.

i.e. If I add the switch and plug my Sonos speakers into two if these network switch ports will they work?

I ask before I purchase a switch and drill 15" holes through two walls to enable hard wiring of the SONOS 5's

Do I have other options? I thought having Deco mesh would solve my wifi issues but more have developed! [My previous Powerline extenders had failed after several years, and no amount of experimentation got them working again, so I didn't want to stay with that solution.] Deco M4 appeared much better until I tried to play music via my SONOS speakers.

Thanks for any support about this is out there.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 November 2023, 11:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Have you actually configured the Deco’s WiFi details into your Sonos? An alternative would be to set the Deco’s WiFi to simply mimic the Virgin’s original WiFi.

To change WiFi details see https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Paul444 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m just going to interject here because it seems at some point you reset one of your speakers, and they are now configured to be in separate systems - therefore, the ethernet connection to one speaker which should get both speakers online is only working for the wired speaker.

To rectify this, please factory reset the speaker that you already reset (connect one to ethernet - if it has all your favourites and settings from before, reset the other one), connect the other speaker to ethernet and open the app, then add the reset speaker as if it were new.

If you struggle at all, please get in touch with our technical support team. What you don’t want to do is reset the wrong speaker, as you’ll lose aforementioned playlists, settings and favourites!

I hope this helps.

Hi Ratty

I had set up the new Deco network with the same SSID and password as the original Virgin network. This was ok for other devices eg Hive, Laptop, Alexa (although most needed to be re logged in). But, this didn’t work for the SONOS speakers.

Using ethernet cable to first Deco did allow me to play music with one SONOS. I reset that unit, so that it would know the new network and might keep that awareness after moving it back to a wireless position but that didn’t work out.

Hi Corry P

I hadn’t realised i was in danger of losing access to my playlists, I will have to be more cautious.

Should I be able to use both SONOS speakers with Deco network? I kept getting Unable to connect messages and although Play:5 seen a temporary SONOS network by connecting to Play:5 couldn’t connect and reports no devices found. 

“Keep that awareness”? Did you in fact configure the Deco WiFi details into the speaker that you wired, via Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks/Update Networks? 

As Corry says above, however, you will still need to re-assemble the system.

Hi ratty

I went to …/Update Networks, as I was wired I was asked to remove wire. Then I tried to connect, I got a quiet chime and an orange flash but said couldn’t connect to network:SONOS but to move closer and try again - I cannot get any closer.

Hmm… Sonos does like to make things hard, possibly in the name of being “helpful”. It used to be trivial to add/change the WiFi credentials while the system was in wired/SonosNet mode. 

Back to Corry’s recommendation that you speak to the Sonos Support folks...

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Paul444 

Should I be able to use both SONOS speakers with Deco network? I kept getting Unable to connect messages and although Play:5 seen a temporary SONOS network by connecting to Play:5 couldn’t connect and reports no devices found. 

Absolutely - but not right now. As, right now, your two speakers are configured as two systems. The app can only communicate with one system at a time, so until one speaker is reset and added to the other, you will only ever see one speaker in the app. Which one you actually see at any particular time will be first that responds when you open the app.

Please get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry P

I have hard wired my SONOS speakers to a network switch next to first Deco unit. After reset of one SONOS 5 I was able to add that unit to the other’s system and am happily playing music through both speakers and Spotify happy as well. Gradually sorting other network issues now. Many thanks.