Sonos 1 plays remotely 5 miles away with a phone app

• 20 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Last weekend i went to a friends house who has a sonos play 1 with which i can control and whilst there we were playing around with spotify and i got a text from my daughter who was at my house 5 miles away saying that my sonos started to play some music. I asked her what music it was playing and it happened to be the music we were choosing at my friends house. How is this possible.?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
I've just asked a similar question, and was given this response by ratty:

"Your daughter was playing directly from her Spotify app, not the Sonos controller. Although this Spotify-Sonos control connection can only be initiated on the local network, it's actually made in the cloud so would persist when the controlling device is taken elsewhere.

To sever the connection at your end all you need to do is play something different on the speaker in question."

Hope this answers yours

Regards
Jon
@JonBoroBoy
Nice of you to pass on the comment, but this is actually a dead thread that's over 1 year old.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do wish the forum software made the age of the topic a bit more obvious, it is in light gray on white to the far right at the top of the last post.

Jon, don't worry the record for revived dead topics is something like 13 years... Dumb forum software!