Answered

SMB Synology DSM 7.2

• 31 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies

Hi,

is it still possible to downgrade SMB on a Synology DSM 7.2.64570 update 3 so it will work with Sonos V1? So far I’m still on 7.1.1 with a downgraded SMB service 4.15.9-0642 but I would like to use the new features of 7.2 for my photo collection that is on the same NAS as my music.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 September 2023, 15:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ivo_4 

Thanks for your post!

I can’t personally assist you with that, but there was a recent thread that should have the answers for you:

I hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @Ivo_4 

Thanks for your post!

I can’t personally assist you with that, but there was a recent thread that should have the answers for you:

I hope this helps.

Thx Corry, pity that thread is closed for comments so I can’t ask if it also works on the latest 7.2 release. I did the downgrade as described by Duncan, using putty to stop the service and installing an older Samba version. But the question remains, will it also work on 7.2 because maybe the older SMB service is rejected by 7.2 as it was originally designed for 7.1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ivo_4 

I’ve reopened the thread for you. Feel free to ask.

Badge

Thanks!🙏 

Hi @Ivo_4 , did you ever get your question answered? I checked the linked thread but no one gave a direct answer to your question. I’m too nervous to upgrade to 7.2 without finding out first. Thanks.

Badge

Hi @Ivo_4 , did you ever get your question answered? I checked the linked thread but no one gave a direct answer to your question. I’m too nervous to upgrade to 7.2 without finding out first. Thanks.

Hello NVMEM8,

no and I can’t answer it myself as I took the 40% discount offer to upgrade most of my older devices and this way I’m now using S2.

There are however a few workarounds:
1: Use the Synology Music app to stream to your Sonos, no catalogue limit and some extra features missing in the Sonos app like a ‘last added tracks’ playlist.
2: On a PC you can use an alternative program like MusicBee, it is full of extra features like detailed info about the artist playing and can stream to your Sonos using a plugin. But of course your PC has to be on while playing music, not ideal. MediaMonkey 5 is also an alternative, needs no plugin, but it crashes frequently on my PC.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you @Ivo_4 , the Sonos 40% discount offer sounds very tempting. Is there a link for that? How did it work exactly? I was thinking of selling all my Gen 1 speakers on eBay. Cheers.

Badge

There is some kind of algorithm for that I guess, you must have S1 devices and maybe have accepted an offer for ‘30% trade in’ in the past. I got an email with a personal discount code offering 40% for one time use. And yes, you can sell your old products. I changed all my S1 devices that I use with the music on my NAS to S2, but I keep the ones that I only use with radio on S1. I live in EU but I think the 40% offer was worldwide, not sure though!

Indeed the 40% is tempting and pushed me over the line to upgrade, I also replaced and old AMP and two JBL LS in my garden for two Move2 speakers. The speakers can now be closer to the table so the volume can be lower and less annoying for my neighbours.

I like the fact these Move2 speakers can be used as a stereo pair or as standalone, but changing this player mode from one to another isn’t easy enough to do it on the fly.

Thanks for providing this info @Ivo_4 . Much appreciated. I’ll think I’ll also head down the upgrade path. Cheers.