Set up Sonos Play 3 without internet

• 27 April 2018
  • 1 reply

After speaking with a Sonos rep and explaining our needs we were advised to purchase the Play 3 (two of them) unfortunately we are having difficulty setting them up.

The router itself has NO internet access, it is used to control our hue lighting and (supposed to) sound via a tablet that is connected to the same network. This was explained to the rep before I purchased the Sonos Play 3s.

I have wired the speakers into the router but the only way to access them is via the Sonos app which sadly requires an account and for me to log into it online.

Clearly the rep misrepresented the speakers to me. My only real way of getting internet into them while on a network is to connect to another router in a different building, connect the tablet and use the app.

If I am able to do this to update/setup will i be required to always log into this Sonos app online - which is not acceptable, to play music, or will I be able to use the speakers (via the tablet) after it has been updated and and moved onto the closed network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Actually they missed informed you, once you setup the account and stuff. You can then move it to the other router. If you have another router in the house. Just plug in both sonos to it, setup all the accounts. Afterward move the 2 speaker to the router without internet. Then attach the phone or tablet to the wifi network of the router that has no internet. It will find your 2 sonos play3.

Now for music, without internet you will have to have so sort of NAS drive. For your setup. I hope your router with no internet has a usb port for attaching an external hard drive. And put all your music on that drive. Then with computer, connect to the router with no internet, and setup the music library on the sonos app.

Now your phone/tablet that controls the sonos, will be able to pick tracks form your Harddrive attach to the router with now internet. This works, as I have had change ISP, and while waiting on internet to be hooked up, I played music form my personal library.

Sorry I never tried playing form a phone or tablet. But I think once the initial setup is done, you can set it up so that sonos access the music on your device. So I can not advice about it.

You won't be able to update the sonos without internet connection. Each device access the internet to get the update. Your phone can not bring the update to the sonos unites. To get updates to the sonos with out moving them. Does your router support usb tether to smartphones, or can be setup as a wireless ap. Then when you need to update, just attach the router to a smartphone, and sonos will update. But it will eat at your data plan. But once you disconnect the smartsphone from the router, you are air gaped again.