Question

Set up separate Sonos network in same house

• 2 January 2018
  • 2 replies

How can one run different Sonos devices on separate networks in the same house? I have Sonos speakers in most rooms. But, I want to add a Playbase to a TV in another room, but not have it connected to the rest of my network. If I connect it to my Wifi, will it try to join up automatically? Do I need a separate Sonos account? It needs to see the internet to do updates or I would cut it off completely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Gepal1. Welcome to the community. You can indeed set up Sonos on a separate network to the rest of your system, though we do not recommend running it off, say, a wireless extender. If your WiFi reaches that portion of the household, you will have no issues connecting it to the same system. Also, you may want to read up on the advantages of using a Sonosnet configuration. If neither your WiFi nor the dedicated Sonos mesh network can reach the room in question, and you really are limited to using a dedicated network, it would be best to have a fully-fledged one. That is to say, you would certainly want it to be connected to the Internet. You do not need a separate Sonos account to do this. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Thinking further on this, I know that my Wifi will extend to this location. There is a Play 3 sitting next to it which is connected to the general network. But, could I connect the Playbase to overall network but not Group it with the rest? Would it then simply play the wired connection to the TV and still be able to receive updates? I am not sure if I would then be able to see it and control it from the iPhone app. But, I just want to be able to control the volume from the TV remote, a Panasonic, by-the-way. I did not see Panasonic remotes on the list of remotes that can be controlled by the TV remote.