Answered

Samsung TV + sonos arc tied with sonos in wall speakers + apple tv 2022 4K ONLY displays stereo PCM for dolby 5.1 content

• 23 November 2022
  • 4 replies

My setup: Samsung TV (QN90A) / sonos arc with sub gen 3 / Sonos in wall rear speaker

Problem:

Hey team I recently purchased the newest Apple TV 4K that just got released. Originally I was just using the TV apps (Disney +, Amazon, etc) and would watch content (if supported) in dolby Atmos, dolby digital 5.1, stereo, etc etc. 

I received the Apple TV 4K and only two options for audio are Dolby Atmos ON and change format. If I change the format then I lose Dolby Atmos (turns it off) and can listen to dolby digital 5.1 content (shows correctly on Sonos app) But if I have dolby Atmos ON then ALL audio (stereo, dolby digital 5.1, etc) goes to stereo PCM regardless of it being Dolby digital 5.1, 2.0, etc. but dolby Atmos will work for supported content. 

This is very puzzling as I have Dolby Atmos on but anytime I watch a movie that’s not Dolby Atmos supported it says Stereo PCM and I don’t know if it’s just a cosmetic issue with the app and it’s actually doing dolby digital 5.1 but just showing stereo pcm. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 November 2022, 19:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

In the TV settings, make sure you have Digital Output Audio Format set to Pass-Through, not Auto. Also be sure eARC Mode is set to Auto.

Nice!! Ok so now it says “multichannel PCM 5.1” instead of stereo PCM. Many thanks!! Do you know what that means? 

Nice!! Ok so now it says “multichannel PCM 5.1” instead of stereo PCM. Many thanks!! Do you know what that means? 

Multi-channel PCM 5.1 is what Apple uses to transmit DD, DD+, DTS, etc.  Essentially, it is the original format (DD, DD+, DTS) decoded to Multichannel PCM. 

Thank you all for your time and assistance!!