Skip to main content

I’ve had Sonos for well over a decade now and have upgraded to all of the new stuff when it comes out and for the most part Sonos has been very stable for me. however, I’m working on having a more elevated sound experience and I went out and bought some KEFLS50 and KEFLS60 speakers and KF92 subs. I still have a house full of Sonos speakers and that’s not gonna change. I just thought I would try a different music server. 

I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not but I think that Roon just sounds more defined vs the Sonos App? The bass hits a little harder and the vocals sound just a little bit more crisp. Is this in my head or for those of you with Roon have you noticed a better quality sound through your Sonos speakers? 

It’s super easy to group speakers, I can’t believe I set the Roon nucleus one up by myself! Have a long way to go to figure everything out given I’ve only had it now for 24 hours, but it’s pretty cool.

I use the Sonos app to play Apple Music but recently it has become a hassle because the listening queue keeps being reset all the time, losing my listening history etc…

So I tried to play via Roon, using Sonos steaming protocol because somehow Airplay doesn’t work great anymore between Roon and Sonos.

Personally, I find the sound more refined with the Sonos app than with Roon streaming. But really, I think maybe it’s just in my head.

The Sonos app can play lossless Apple Music - meaning 24 bits 48 kHz (?) although those numbers are documented no where, it just says lossless - whilst with Roon streaming it’s 24 bits 44.1 kHz.

I guess it’s not enough to make a difference sound wise, so it must be in my head.