request : adding NFS client functionality to SONOS S1/S2 OS kernel

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 12 replies

dear SONOS OS developers,

i would like to suggest - if not done so already - to look into adding an NFS client software to the S1, and then why not also to the S2 SONOS OS to circumvent the SAMBA SMB1 problem one is faced with as linux users, like in my case with a 1st generation connect:amp device.  luckily NFS is lightweight in terms of space and system resources.  very generally, it would be a *huge* favour to the non-insignificant linux SONOS community if NFS was added as data mount protocol so that SONOS devices could directly speak to NFS servers, instead of using that cumbersome SAMBA protocol.  imagine, how much less traffic would there be on this forum about that SAMBA beast…?!

see here an earlier discussion about this topic in this forum.

just making sure, i don’t speak about the SONOS controller App which should not be affected by adding this NFS capability to S1/S2 OS.

5 replies

S1 is incapable of supporting NFS.  The code is frozen as regards any new functionality.

What’s more, the percentage of users who play local music was reported to be around 10% several years ago, and will doubtless have declined further in the meantime. 

So NFS for a tiny fraction of a small fraction of the user base? 

Anyway this is all academic. As noted, S1 will never support NFS. And S2 users have the option of SMB2/3. Plus there’s always Plex.

Userlevel 1
Badge

i see, jgatie and ratty - thank you for your replies.  i just thought that NFS is quasi free, not much effort is needed to render a SONOS product more complete.  serious music fascinados can amass large amounts of music files and store such locally.

anyway, as last comment : PLEX does offer *zero* capability to browse directories or files within a well maintained music collection - unless one pays regularly for their Plex Pro product.  pretty clever.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

We purchased SONOS when it first came out due to it’s support of playing local music. We recently updated everything to S2 to get SMB2/3. I hope that SONOS continues to provide access to local music in future products.

There’s certainly no indication that would lead anyone to believe that they would stop access to local music. Especially given the effort around rewriting S1 so that S2 could exist, which in turn allowed Sonos to add higher versions of Samba.

That’s a lot of time/engineering/cost/effort invested in providing code that furthers the ability to continue local music access. Hard to believe they’d be doing all that if there was any plan to stop supporting it.