Relay TV remote’s IR signal to Playbar behind TV

• 28 March 2018
  • 1 reply

Hello. I have a Playbar which was mounted behind the top of the TV. This puts the Playbar’s IR receiver out of line-of-sight from the TV’s remote control. The TV is a Sony Bravia, which has a built-in IR blaster (USB connected with two IR emitters). I’ve tried running through the TVs IR blaster setup but it was unable to detect the sound bar. I’ve mounted the IR emitter (dome looking thing) on the back of the tv just in front of the Playbar’s IR receiver. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, if this is how an IR blaster is even supposed to work. If this doesn’t work, then I think I’m down to purchasing a 3rd party IR receiver/extender solution, or possible a Logitech universal remote solution. Does anyone have any experience with a similar setup where you’ve been able to relay the IR signal from the remote through the TV to the Playbar? If not, with a 3rd party solution? Looking for recommendations on a solution. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

So, I got this to work using the built-in Sony Bravia IR blaster as described above; however, the volume up/down controls from the remote, to the tv, to the Playbar are extremely slow compared to adjusting the volume while pointing the remote directly at the Playbar (approximately 10 times as long to adjust to desired volume). Is this normal?