Question

Plex on unRaid Server

• 21 September 2017
  • 6 replies

I have Plex on my unRaid Server and I'm looking to setup a system which can handle multi-room music streaming from the same library. What appliances do I need for this? I'd like to use Sonos Play Speakers, but if there are alternatives which are better please let me know. Will a Sonos CR100 (I don't like the 200) be able to control the Play speakers individually? Will I need a BOOST/BRIDGE? Has anyone used these with Plex?

Any advise appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Is your server local? If so, no need to run Plax, Sonos can access local shared drives. I say this because the Plex implementation seems to be an afterthought for Plex, and was half-baked to begin with. They just do not seem intent on supporting it.

In addition, the CR100 and CR200 have been discontinued. Controllers are now apps on iOS/Android/PC/Mac. A Boost (Bridge is discontinued) is not required, but if you hardwire one (or any Sonos device) to your Ethernet network, it creates Sonosnet; a mesh network which is far more robust and reliable than a standard WiFi setup.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have had an unRAID server for about 1-1/2 years and have all of my music stored on it. I set my Sonos music library to that location, and it works 100% perfectly.

I also use Plex via that same unRAID box, but do not use it in conjunction with Sonos.
Thanks guys. I want to use Plex because it's connected to Fanart.tv which can automatically take the album covers and metadata (it just looks better in my opinion). Can Sonos Music Library also do this? - I'll have all my current album covers and metadata, but what happens when I download new music which doesn't have them?

I want to do everything wirelessly if possible. So would I just need a Boost and a few Play speakers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I cannot help with that as I don't use...but would think others can provide info.
One you might be able to help with jdag - Do you run your Sonos Music Library on your unRaid on Sonosnet with a boost or is everything wired?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
My unRAID server is wired to my router, and a couple of my Sonos devices are also hard wired. So yes, all of my Sonos devices are running on SonosNet.

To be clear, there is nothing "running" on the unRAID server relative to Sonos. My music files are simply in a folder named \Media\Music. Then I have a Share named Media. Within the Sonos app, I then added my music library's path.