Answered

Playing Line-in from Era 100 being used as surrounds

• 9 September 2023
  • 12 replies

Is it possible/will it be possible to easily switch between using the Era speakers line in while they're set up as surrounds? Seems like a major oversight to not allow this and to require the speakers to be totally disconnected and readded as a stereo pair ever time you want to use the line in input, especially since the setup process never goes as smoothly as advertised.

Could this be a future software update? I'm honestly pretty frustrated with this lack of functionality considering how these speakers are advertised and their price.

icon

Best answer by ratty 9 September 2023, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

This is by design.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/surround-sound-guidelines-and-limitations#:~:text=usual%20listening%20position.-,Limitations,-The%20following%20features

The logic is essentially that the 5GHz private wireless connection between the surrounds and the HT master player is only to be used for distributing the relevant audio channels from the master. The latency is very tightly controlled, to preserve lip-sync, which means shallow network buffers. Loading the surrounds’ wireless connection with other data could potentially delay the real-time audio, leading to dropouts. 

Is there something stopping Sonos from adding an option on the software side to switch from having the speakers in surround mode to having them be treated as a normal set of speakers in the Sonos system? As it stands they need to be removed from the system and readded, rather than just switching modes, so to speak. 

Is there something stopping Sonos from adding an option on the software side to switch from having the speakers in surround mode to having them be treated as a normal set of speakers in the Sonos system? As it stands they need to be removed from the system and readded, rather than just switching modes, so to speak. 

Removing them and re-adding them IS switching modes.  There’s no way quickly switch from the 5GHz private wireless connection between the surrounds and the HT master player to standard stereo without the reconfiguring which takes place when switching from being surrounds to a stereo pair.

hello,

disappointed that the Sonos software doesnt allow for multiple configurations setting to accommodate seamless switching between surround (HT) and stereo pair (line in/vinyl) for a pair of era 100s grouped with a soundbar (beam 2 in my case)

polite request to the Sonos software team to get this on your feature roadmap please

cheers

hello,

disappointed that the Sonos software doesnt allow for multiple configurations setting to accommodate seamless switching between surround (HT) and stereo pair (line in/vinyl) for a pair of era 100s grouped with a soundbar (beam 2 in my case)

polite request to the Sonos software team to get this on your feature roadmap please

cheers

I suggest you read the thread.  It is explained in great detail why a quick switch is not possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Added complexity is Trueplay - both set ups should also be able to remember more than one Trueplay setting.

hello,

cheers

I suggest you read the thread.  It is explained in great detail why a quick switch is not possible. 

thanks jgatie….I read the thread, I get it and thanks for the detail …but it still sounds like a gap in the software to me … hence my ‘feature request’ ... the more people who flag this the better imo .. cheers

thanks jgatie….I read the thread, I get it and thanks for the detail …but it still sounds like a gap in the software to me … hence my ‘feature request’ ... the more people who flag this the better imo .. cheers

There’s no gap in the software.  Switching between the one-way, ad hoc, 5 GHz low latency network for surrounds and the configuration used for full stereo takes time to reconfigure the radios and perform the handshakes necessary to optimize the connection.  There’s no speeding it up.  They could put a one button toggle between the two, but it’s not going to make it any more seamless or faster than it is now. 

Man I thought seamless switching was possible as well just now after connecting everything realizing I'll have to decide wether to use them as surround or line-in vinyl player. Really disappointed right now.

I mean it doesn't seem too farfetched to ask for this feature. Even if it takes time to switch there is no reason why there shouldn't be a toggle in the app between surround an line-in.

Man I thought seamless switching was possible as well just now after connecting everything realizing I'll have to decide wether to use them as surround or line-in vinyl player. Really disappointed right now.

I mean it doesn't seem too farfetched to ask for this feature. Even if it takes time to switch there is no reason why there shouldn't be a toggle in the app between surround a line-in.

Or just simply add another Sonos device with a line-in option and then there’s no need to ‘faff’ around. You can even set the TT to autoplay at a set volume on the Sonos HT/Surrounds (and any/every other ‘grouped’ Sonos speaker(s), as required).

I was disappointed too to find the line in doesn’t work in home theater mode.  I didn't find that out until today while replacing the 2 Sonos One SL.  It was one of the main reasons for the purchase.  While it is on the web site buried in the FAQs - it should be more prominent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just gave the product page and guide a quick look and I’d agree that the surround-mode disabling the line in and Bluetooth in should be mentioned in both places where the connectivity is discussed.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/era-100

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/era100