Play what's on Sonos on my AVR, and what's on my AVR on Sonos

• 18 September 2017
  • 5 replies

As the title says, I want to send what's on Sonos to my AVR (presumably using a signal from a suitable Sonos device), and what's on my AVR on Sonos (presumably SENDING a signal to a Sonos device). My Sonos nbetwork connection is a Briudge (that is, none of my Sonos speakers, two 3s, one 1 and one 5, are hardwired). The Play:5 with its line-in is too far from my AVR to be usable, but is there a "wireless bridging option?"

Alternatively, if I can get over the ludicrous price, will the input and output of a Connect do the job? If I have a Connect plugged into my local network, do I need the Bridge any longer, or do I not even plug the Connect in?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The Connect is designed to do what you're asking for. I don't think you'd be able to find a cheaper alternative that can sync without issue.

As far as connecting it goes I believe you can drop the Bridge if one of your units is connected to Ethernet. However, if you already have the bridge, I would just leave your setup as is.
Thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The only thing I'll note about the Connect... digital inputs from your AVR won't likely be able to be played through your Sonos system. The Connect only has analog inputs, and the analog line-level outputs from most AVRs will only carry the signals from analog inputs. So a cassette deck or phonograph that is played through your AVR would also play on Sonos without issue. But a digital input from a CD or MD player, HDMI input, or other digital source won't likely come through the analog output from your AVR. At least it doesn't for most AVRs.
Thanks. I was wondering about that actually. I've ordered a new AVR, an Onkyo TX-NR555, and among its plethora of features is, I think/hope I remember right, a master analog output. Worst comes to worst, I can use its headphones-out to input to the Connect, I reckon?
Note that there is approximately a 70ms latency between a SONOS Line-In and output from a SONOS player. This will cause constant grief if one attempts to play an AVR source on an AVR driven speaker and a SONOS player in the same room.