"My Household" option in Sonos app

Hello,

I ran across this recent 5-Apr-23 article which suggests using an household feature in the Sonos app:

https://soundscapehq.com/sonos-multiple-users/

From the article: To use Sonos Multiple Users, you’ll need to create a household. This can be done by selecting “Settings” > “My Household” > “Create Household” in the Sonos app.

There is no mention of the app version needed and I do not see any such setting/option in the current iOS version of the app nor Android app.  

I’m guessing this is not a real feature but wanted to ask the experts here.

Thank you,

Chris

11 replies

I’ve never seen the option to create individual households from within the Sonos app.  It is possible to set up multiple households, but it must be done by setting up one household, then resetting the app, turning off all units assigned to the currently defined household, and then setting up the new one.  Repeat for each new household, turning off all others before you start to add the latest.   

Note:  This requires a single household to be defined in each app.  If you try to assign an app to multiple households on the same WiFi, chaos ensues.  To add additional apps to a household, you again need to do the “turn off all other households” thing and choose to connect to an existing system.

Ah, interesting…  thank you for the reply!

It may be worth mentioning that multiple users can use a single household. This is how millions of users use the system. Each user can use their own music service account  

The method I’m aware of is using a single account that each user uses to connect to Sonos, then within the app there are multiple instances of services, one for each user (eg: a Spotify for me and a Spotify for my wife).  Is that what you are referring to?  Thank you!

Yes. Although I wouldn’t consider that a ‘different household’. 

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to.  What are you looking for in a "multiple household" setup? Each user would have different speakers. That doesn’t work well for most families but obviously there are exceptions.

I am also going to be pedantic about the 'normal" single household setup. The multiple instances of music services really exist in the system rather than the app. The app provides a view and control.  Any Sonos app can control all services but can be set to default to a particular service.

“What are you looking for in a "multiple household" setup?”

Not so much multiple household but multiple users in a singel household (or system).  I suppose in my head it would be that I could have a Sonos account and my wife would have hers for use in the app, but we’d be able to both access one system and each control all the speakers in the house.  The Sonos app UI for her would show just the services she wants to use and they’d be “hers” and mine would not appear in the UI.  The above setup (both of us using one account) will work but within the UI we both see duplicate services because one is mine and one is hers and that is just a different mental model than I expected.

The good news is that there is a solution... and thank you to everyone for replying!  😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you use more than one Spotify (or such) account, any user can set their account as the preferred account in the app on their phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The original article looks complete nonsense to me, maybe a ChatGPT generated web site of nonsense?

Unless this is a beta feature most of us haven’t seen yet.

The original article looks complete nonsense to me, maybe a ChatGPT generated web site of nonsense?

Unless this is a beta feature most of us haven’t seen yet.

Could be…  could not corroborate anywhere else so I asked here.  :-)