Multiple Sonos Connected by Ethernet - Good or Bad?

• 2 April 2018
  • 1 reply

I have 3 Connect Amps in a networking closet. I plugged one of them into my switch and then daisy chained the other 2 from that one. Is that a good idea or not?

Then, I have 9 Sonos 1 units spread out across the space. All of them are connected by wifi. If, however, they are near an available ethernet jack, is there any benefit to connecting them to ethernet?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If your units are close by then a single unit connected via an Ethernet cable is fine. (You need to remove your Wi-Fi credentials in the Sonos app to ensure that all players connect via the SonosNet.)

However I have a 400 year old house, with some walls being in excess of 2.5ft thick - this is not ideal for a good Wi-Fi signal!! As a result I have my a Connect wired into my switch and also the furthest player which results in no drop outs at all. Unless you are experiencing players dropping or interruptions to your audio playback, then I'd leave things as is.