Question

Multiple Play 1's - Site Setup

• 17 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi All,

I'm looking for an alternative to a current speaker setup which integrate for work - Clipsal Ceiling Bluetooth speakers. The issue I have is constant dropouts and hardware hangs. Clipsal won't comment on the issue even though we've purchased over 200 speakers via our vendor from them.

I'm looking for alternatives and the Play 1's may be a decent fit for my setup, although, I have questions before I run a test site.

Our sites are early learning schooling sites which have anywhere between 5-10 rooms at each campus. Currently each room has an iPad kiosk which I have connected to a Synology NAS running DSAudio. iPads are connected to the Clipsal Bluetooth Ceiling speakers and audio is pushed from the NAS to the iPad to the Speakers. With the connectivity issues we are experiencing I'm looking for an alternative to bluetooth and the Sonos Play 1 may fit the requirements.

Our environment is the following at each site:
Cisco Meraki APs
HP Aruba POE Switch
Network points in each room

My question's are the following:

1. What is the maximum number of Play 1's which can run over a WiFi network?
2. Can I install all the Play 1's over the Ethernet network as opposed to the WiFi network? and are there any known issues setting up all speakers over the Ethernet network?
3. Are there any know issues connecting multiple Play 1's over a mesh WiFi network?

Thanks for the responses.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
1. 32 maximum Play:1s on a network
2. You can install over Ethernet as long as all same subnet with wifi (for controllers connecting wifi)
3. Play:1s create their own Mesh wifi network (when one is plugged into Ethernet). Others have used mesh networks wifi only and I haven't seen any real issues.

There have been some Cisco incompatibilities https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/~/sonos-and-incompatible-hardware
1. 32 maximum Play:1s on a network
2. You can install over Ethernet as long as all same subnet with wifi (for controllers connecting wifi)
3. Play:1s create their own Mesh wifi network (when one is plugged into Ethernet). Others have used mesh networks wifi only and I haven't seen any real issues.

There have been some Cisco incompatibilities https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42/~/sonos-and-incompatible-hardware

Thanks for the prompt response!