Question

Multiple Connects on one network with two SSIDs

• 17 November 2017
  • 1 reply

We have 5 Sonos Connect:AMPs located throughout our warehouse and one Sonos Connect in the front of our building where the offices are. There are two separate network IDs, one for the warehouse and one for the offices. Our 5 Sonos Connect:AMPs are connected to the warehouse SSID. The Connect in the offices can only be connected to the office SSID. When my phone is connected to the Office SSID, I can see and control my Sonos Connect:AMPs (on different ID) with no problem. However, once I connect our 6th Sonos (Connect) to the office SSID, the Sonos Android App starts "freaking out," reloading multiple times before I can even choose a single option. Finally, after maybe 3-5 minutes, I could play music from my Office Sonos Connect, but my 5 Sonos Connect:Amps are no longer found in the app. Switching my phone to the Warehouse SSID now shows that there are zero Sonos connected, and our music is no longer playing.

Is there a way to have all 6 Sonos devices either:
A: All show in the App together?
or
B: Connect to a network ID so I can just switch between the two in the morning on my phone just to turn them on for the day?

I know it's a pretty specific case but would love to hear feedback from anyone with experience using these Sonos devices in a large facility. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

You might consider installing a wireless mesh network, that allows multiple hotspots which use the same SSID. Open Mesh, for one, also allows up to 4 SSIDS on the same network (again, all hotspots share all active SSIDs), so that you can segment into separate public and private networks, etc. The hotspots come with free (cloudtrax.com) cloud management (NO monthly charges) and start at under $ 100 ea. They work just fine with Sonos. I have installed dozens of these and am quite happy with them. And BTW I don't work for Open Mesh.