Answered

is it still possible to hook up a WD100 to a S1 system

• 19 August 2023
  • 11 replies

Hi,

I was setting up an older Sonos system an our cabin and wanted to add a WD100 iPod dock to it. Sonos said it was no longer supported, but I was hoping someone had a work around. I’ve got an older iPod that has all my music on it. My system consists of a bridge, two Play 5’s (in different rooms), and a Play 1.

if anyone knows a way to make it work, please let me know. I’ve gone through the process with Sonos support, but I’m not sure how good the support rep was.

Thanks,

Gary

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 19 August 2023, 03:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Sonos dropped support for that device long before the S1/S2 split. I wouldn’t think there’s any way to add it now. 

It would be much more tempting to transfer that music to a hard drive on a Mac, and play it that way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Does the iPod have a headphone output? It wouldn’t be ideal but you might hook that to the Play 5’s input and fiddle the iPod volume levels for the best sound. A NAS option would be better though.

I’d look at removing that Bridge from your system, they cause a lot of problems that are hard to find and they aren’t needed in most cases. Just set your Sonos up to connect to your WiFi or hook one to your router using Ethernet.

Some routers support a USB stick.

Thanks for the input. The iPod does have a headphone jack, but I also have a docking station that has a line out option that I could also use. I thought the bridge allowed the system to be more stable instead of just using Wi-Fi. There is a router node near one of the Play 5’s. I could remove the bridge and then plug the 5 into the router node and see how that goes.

The Sonos BRIDGE is known to be past its life, due to a problematic power supply, which when it goes bad, makes things super hard to track down, better to retire that soon. There are lots of other ways to connect your Sonos system. 

I’m not sure what you mean by “router node”. If this is a “mesh” network, wiring SONOS to an access point or mesh point usually does not work very well. You can try this by simply powering down BRIDGE and connecting another SONOS unit in place of BRIDGE. Note that I am mildly hesitant to recommend this because BRIDGE may not restart (due to hardware issues mentioned elsewhere) if this temporary connection does not work and you want to return to BRIDGE.

Thanks for the input. The iPod does have a headphone jack, but I also have a docking station that has a line out option that I could also use

I still have the WD100 just because it is a beautiful design and one of my first Sonos buys; I was not happy when it was thrown out of the wagon by Sonos.

The docking station you refer to is the way to go - assuming it can charge the iPod as well as provide line out signals to a Sonos line in jack.

Note that the old iPods with hard drives do not have long service life, so make sure all the music there is backed up as well. And much for the same reason, I see no point in spending on more hardware to keep that iPod in service.

Also note that if you set up the Sonos line in jack to autoplay to, for example a play 5 stereo pair, the music will play on the pair even if there is no WiFi in the cabin, via a local Wifi that Sonos will set up for wireless comms between the two 5 units. I may be mistaken because this is from memory, so open to correction.

Thanks everyone for sharing advice. A couple of notes and clarification. My router is a Linksys mesh router that refers to their points as nodes. I have the main upstairs, one located on same floor as Play 5 and Play 1 (not near each other, and one in the basement. I began this Sonos journey after purchasing a used Play 5 (gen 1) to get some music in the cottage. I liked then so much that I picked up two more 5’s & a 1. Thinking that the bridge was the preferred setup, I picked up the bridge, a boost, and the WD100. One of my fives needs a capacitor replaced and isn’t on the system yet. As for the iPod, there are some guides for replacing the battery and hard drive of the older iPods. On of my iPods currently has a new battery and a 256gb micro sd card with the ability to add three more cards. Pretty cool setup and runs forever with the new battery and sd cards. Best iPods to do this with was the 5th gen due to its DAC.

Based on advice, I have removed the bridge from the system and wired the basement Play 5 to the node/point. The Play 5 in the living room already has the line in occupied with a cable from the tv. I hated the sound from the tv and had previously tried using the Play 5. After adjusting for delay, it has worked pretty well. I had hoped to use the WD100 because then I could keep the iPod near the Play 5 without having to compete for connection with the tv.

Once I get the other Play 5 working ( He says while crossing his fingers) I plan on setting that one up in the living room. So, maybe the iPod could go there. Otherwise, I guess I’ll have to load all the music on the laptop that usually travels with us.

FYI I liked the cabin Sonos set up so much, I have since added a One SL and Beam to my home. So far…

The Play 5 in the living room already has the line in occupied with a cable from the tv. I hated the sound from the tv and had previously tried using the Play 5. After adjusting for delay, it has worked pretty well.

Since there is a concurrent thread running on this: now on the play 5 sound you are not disturbed by any lip sync issues with the TV video?

The Play 5 in the living room already has the line in occupied with a cable from the tv. I hated the sound from the tv and had previously tried using the Play 5. After adjusting for delay, it has worked pretty well.

Since there is a concurrent thread running on this: now on the play 5 sound you are not disturbed by any lip sync issues with the TV video?

I’ll have to check that next time I’m there.