Is it possible to prevent every speaker from dropping and reconnecting whenever source music changes

• 17 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Looking for input on how to keep my speakers from dropping out/reconnecting several times whenever I select a new playlist on Spotify.

In an attempt to forestall the inevitable FIX YOUR WIFI replies, I am using the TPLINK Deco mesh system and have strong coverage throughout the house. We have about 10 Play-1s and Sonos Ones, as well as a Move and a Roam. One Sonos One speaker is hardwired to the main Deco router, the rest of the speakers are wireless.

As much as I love the sound of the speakers, after several years I had given up expecting the dropout problem to ever be fixed.

That is until a couple of days ago when, just for fun, I deleted the wifi credentials from the Network section of the Sonos app. Miraculously, the dropouts disappeared, and the system now works without any interruptions in speaker connectivity. Everything seems to be fine, except that now Move is unable to connect via wifi.

I don’t want Sonos to even try to use my wifi, preferring to have it use Sonosnet. But it would be nice to have Move able to use wifi. Looking for suggestions.

2 replies

All speakers should be using Sonosnet regardless if the Move is seen or not.  Try adding the Move back to the system, then check in Settings > About My System.  Each device except the Move should have “WM:0” for wireless mode (WM).  If not, then they are too far away from the mesh to switch to Sonosnet, and you need to consider putting it closer or getting a Bridge to cover the gap. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Off topic a bit but whilst you (and many others) would prefer to use Sonosnet sonos have announced their intention to move away from Sonosnet. There is no suggestion that they will turn it off but new devices from the Era 100/300 onwards will be WiFi (or wired ethernet) only.