Answered

iPod dock functionality discontinued: alternative set ups

• 14 September 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a dock and iPod classic running in a multi room setup (3 Connects + Playbar and some scattered :1s). When the dock stops working (as per 9/13/18 Sonos email), I guess I’ll hook it into a Connect via the line in. A few questions for this with more knowledge than me (everyone).

I’ll lose visibility of what’s playing and control of the iPod through the software?

Does it matter which Connect gets the Line In? All will be able to see it?

If I dock the iPod in a DAC bypass dock (Onkyo), run the digital out to a stand-alone DAC, then DAC-out to the Connect, am I just D-A-D-Aing the signal? (I don’t want to get into a DAC debate here, that’s well covered elsewhere, please, I’m just trying to understand the signal path). Don’t see any reason to convert the signal multiple times...but I do like to bypass the internal DAC in the Classic.

Sorry for the newbie questions, help appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Kumar 14 September 2018, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As far as I can recall, the iPod classic would connect via its headphone socket to the line in of the Connect and if that still sounds good - in spite of the iPod op amps/volume control being in the signal path - that would be the simplest way forward. I expect the op amps/VC to be a bigger issue than the iPod DAC, but that issue may well not have an audible impact.

A stand alone DAC to Connect via line in would do same number of conversions, and will probably not deliver better sound than the aforesaid. Unless the iPod op amps/VC are an audible issue.

Yes, any Connect can be used, but you will not see what is playing except on the iPod display.

Time to move the iPod content to a NAS, probably.
Cheers Kumar. Thanks for the answers.
I do actually have the NAS dB set up, the iPod Classic is just a nice way of having a 10,000-20,000 song subset on random play ( they also come into the car where they’re irreplaceable). I have 4 such Classics that I rotate based on mood. I’ve been resisting recreating same via making a Playlist because big-database+15k songs * 4 playlists = a big pain...
Badge
I have an iPod dock also. Of course with the new update it is completely disappeared from my speaker selections. There are so many stories out there about Sonos discontinuing the support of something so they just render it inoperable completely. It is absolute BS. I'm quite sure the place three will fall in the same list before long. So the iPod dock is not the first and I'm sure it will not be the last. I feel like they're totally screwing their loyal users. Many have been using Sonos before it was popular and actually had so many glitches it was unbearable at times. Everything should be reverse compatible forever. People spend a lot of hard-earned money to have their product and at some point they really don't give a rat's ass about you. They just want to sell more stuff.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
So if you go the inline way all you can control on the sonos is volume, am I right?. And any music selection will have to be done on the iPod it's self, is this also right?

I am having major cr200 connect issues as well since the past update about 2 months ago, sonos and I have been going back and forth trying to get it to work but all I seem to get is about plugging things in and out use boost not use boost plug into router not plug into router no real big help here as all they tell me I already know being a sonos user for so so many years. I am afraid the cr200 is next to be bricked and I believe it actually started when they did an update now 2 back as all was just fine till then (my personal feeling) Untill I did said update a few months ago. Many of us sonos users who has been customers from the start are having our hardware go bye bye, which means many of use will soon go bye bye sonos as well, lol.