Answered

How to setup outdoor patio speakers and tv in covered pavillion

• 8 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Patio is about to start construction and need help setting up audio. I want to be able to hear music in the patio as well as near the fire pit which will be about 20 feet away. Also building a covered pavllion on the patio where I will be adding a tv as well. I’d like to hear the tv on all speakers if i wanted or if I wanted the pavillion to play whats on tv and the rest of the speakers to play music.  I think i would need two separate zones in order to acheive this.  I just purchased the sonance 6.1 garden series which comes with sonos amp.  I was thinking of getting mounted or in ceiling outdoor speakers for the pavillion so that would provide the audio for the tv and then connect them to another sonos amp.  Am i thinking this correctly? is there a more cost effective solution?  I am also thinking of keeping both amps outside in a covered enclosure and run ethernet cable outside to get direct internet connection vs wifi. The pavillion will have electrical outlets and i’m building a TV wall that will be part of the pavillion and would put the amps inside this wall to protect from the outside elements. I would disconnec the amps in the winter and bring them inside.  Any help would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Ochoa23 12 April 2023, 19:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ochoa23 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your plan sounds good to me. You will indeed need two Amps if you want to keep TV audio and music separate. A few points you should be aware of, however:

Please note that when playing TV audio, Amp will do so without delay in order to stay in sync with the TV. This means that if you group in another Amp to also play the TV audio, it may be out-of-sync with the first Amp due to the feed having to go via the router first. With your plan to ethernet-wire both Amps, this delay will be kept to a minimum, but may still be noticeable. Music playback will stay in sync as it is delayed before the first device plays it.

I wouldn’t recommend In-Ceiling speakers to be the front channels for TV audio - speakers at the same height as the TV would be preferred.

Whatever you use to keep the Amps from being exposed to the weather should be rated for doing so with mains-powered electrical devices - this would imply protection from water and moisture ingress.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, thanks for your input, I think I will be using outdoor mounted speakers instead.  Didn’t think about height when planning for these speakers.  what would you suggest i use for front speakers? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ochoa23 

The only outdoor passive speakers I am allowed to recommend are the Sonance Architectural Outdoor speakers that we sell. 

The community at large may well suggest some alternatives.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, another question i have. for the sonance 6.1 mag powered by sonos amp.  It says to link subwoofer between sattelite speaker 3 and 4 but based on my setup it would either be between sattelite speaker 2 and 3 or between 4 and 5. Will either of these locations be an issue? I was leaning towards placing subwoofer between 4 and 5 since that side would be closer to where the sonos amp will be placed. any thoughts?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ochoa23 

Although that set includes a Sonos Amp, it’s created by Sonance and I’m really not familiar with it at all - I have heard mention of it about 3 times, that’s it.

If no-one else chimes in here to help, I can only suggest contacting Sonance directly.

At a guess, given that the Amp is only going to play stereo, I would say it won’t be critically important which pair of speakers the subwoofer is between, but the overall location may make a difference. Try things and see.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.