how to play whats on my android phone?

• 6 September 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Is there a way of playing whatever is playing on my android phone, via my sonos system? Things like BBC iplayer, bbc podcasts, youtube? Loads of radio shows just aren't available on stitcher or the radio section.

Cheers

Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Ok. I presume the answer is no?

Never managed to get the "This mobile device" function to work.

Chris
Music tracks and podcasts stored on the Android are accessible via the Sonos controller's This Mobile Device option. Audio from other apps is not, so you'd need to use some other mechanism to send the audio to Sonos. The exception to this is the Google Play Music app, which is able to 'cast' directly to Sonos.

An obvious solution is via the headphone jack, cabled to a Sonos Player which offers a Line-In connection (PLAY:5, CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP).

Similarly a Bluetooth connection to a Bluetooth audio receiver wired to a Sonos Line-In can achieve the same result, minus the physical tether.

There could well be Android apps which are able to stream any audio onto the network, either as a local 'radio station' or via DLNA. With a bit of configuring Sonos may be able to deal with these. Other members may chip in with their experiences.
Ok. I presume the answer is no?

Never managed to get the "This mobile device" function to work.

Chris

There is no native way to do it, except for the Google Play Music app. Though some use Bubbleupnp to cast to Sonos devices.
Userlevel 1
I also would like a native way to do this, fyi.
Will try Bubbleupnp
Badge +2
Hello
You should try the Plex app.