Answered

HDMI sound via VLC

• 31 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I have the sonos ARC with surround speakers and connected to TV via eARC.

Everything works perfectly when I watch a movie directly from the TV (Netflix etc) but when I connect a video via HDMI and VLC to the TV from my MAC, the voices come from the surround speakers ( mysteriously, only from the left back one) and not from arc which only plays the surround sounds. I tried all VLC settings and the only way to get the sound right is to disable the audio surround, which we obviously don't want to.

Could anyone please help me here?

Many thanks

Dimitri 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 31 January 2022, 15:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

On your Mac, go to Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and make sure the audio output settings are set to 5.1. Also check the “Configure Speakers...” option in the same window.

Many thanks for that clear answer. This helped indeed.

I now get PCM 7.1 and not even DD or ATMOS even though the file is supposed to be in ATMOS and in the MIDI setup I also did the setup in ATMOS.

Is there anything I can do here?

Thank you

Dimitri 

Userlevel 7

What are the audio settings on your TV set to? Can you post photos of the current settings?

What version of macOS are you running? According to the Dolby Developer website, you need macOS Catalina 10.15 or higher to support Dolby Atmos. This website also shows which Mac models support Dolby Atmos: 
https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/apple/macos/os-support/

Hello,

I have a Mac of 2017 with the latest version of IOS. The TV is an LG C1 and Sonos is plugged in via eARC.

I don't think it’s a TV issue setting since some files that are supposed to be in ATMOS play in Dolby Digital 5.1 but the ones in DD play in PCM multi canal 7.1. I get this also when I watch a movie on netflix, directly on the TV. Even though the file is supposed to be in ATMOS, some just play DD while others do play ATMOS. I don't understand this at all. 

Sets on TV: I tried every possible combination, passtrough, Auto, PCM, arc, optical. The best  quality I'm getting from passthrough

On my Mac, in MIDI, I can chose 7.1 or ATMOS and the only think I can change is the frequency and the channels. I placed it to the max I have 8 channels, 2

4 bits 48.0 KHZ. Strangely when I put the Atmos option, it only shows 2 channels and I can't change anything, 

Userlevel 7

Is the HDMI Input Audio Format setting on your TV set to Bitstream?

According to the Dolby Developer site, Mac models from 2017 and earlier do not support Dolby Atmos audio, but you should be able to get Dolby Digital Plus.

https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/apple/macos/os-support/

understood. Many thanks.

But how come for 5.1 Dolby Digital files I get pcm multichannel 7.1 and not DD?

yes Bitstream is enabled

Many thanks for all your help, much appreciated!!!