Question

Guest access for only one Sonos device

• 1 October 2017
  • 4 replies

I would like to allow guests to use a play 1 in a guest room but not control any of the other sonos devices in my house. I have a separate guest wifi network with password via an Apple Airport. Do I need to hard wire the Play 1 via ethernet to the Airport? I do not want this device on the sonos network, how do I set it up?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
That would be the way I'd approach it.

Presuming you have a Dual Band router then hard wiring ensures that whether your guest connects their phone by 2.4GHz or 5Ghz that the controller app will talk to the player. Don't forget to set up passphrases for both the 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

If you wish to make login a bit easier you can use a QR code generator such as this one for Android http://blog.qr4.nl/QR-Code-WiFi.aspx
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should be able to connect the Play 1 to that network as a new system and when your guests connect to that network they will be able to connect to that Sonos system (i.e. the Play 1)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
A feature of some guest WiFi networks is that any devices connected to them are isolated -- i.e., they connect the guest device to the external Internet only. This would prevent the controller from accessing your PLAY:1. Just something to watch for.
Thanks for the swift replies, I was able to set up the play 1 as a separate new system by resetting my sonos controller on my phone and when on guest wifi network set up a new sonos household and seems to work.

@pwt, good point will test that out with a friends phone sonos controller..
@lucid AV will hard wire if I can but so far so good..