Getting my Yamaha Receiver / Sonos Port / Sonance all to work together

• 8 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Happy Friday! I am hoping you can help me as this is driving me nuts :)

I have a Sonance (BestBuy) 6.1 system setup and have 2 in ceiling speakers on the patio that are connected to my Yamaha receiver RX-A870 zone 2. I purchased a Sonos “port” per the recommendations of Sonos so i can use the sonos app to control my patio speakers and to “group” the patio speakers to the Sonance 6.1 system.

I have connected my Sonos port Via Coaxial cable to my Yamaha receiver Coaxial Audio 3.

I turned on Zone 2 and tried to get the patio speakers to play through the Sonos app with no luck.

How do I get this all to work? 

Thank you so much

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

First you need to go to Settings > System > <Port Room> and set the volume to ‘Fixed’ for the Line-Out Level.  That eliminates any dueling volume problems between the Port and the receiver.

Then on the Sonos app, choose the Port Room (Rooms tab, tap on Port room), then choose a source to play. 

First you need to go to Settings > System > <Port Room> and set the volume to ‘Fixed’ for the Line-Out Level.  That eliminates any dueling volume problems between the Port and the receiver.

Then on the Sonos app, choose the Port Room (Rooms tab, tap on Port room), then choose a source to play. 

Okay great! So i have all the wiring correct? I just need to do these settings you are indicating?

Okay great! So i have all the wiring correct? I just need to do these settings you are indicating?

That depends on the receiver and I’m not familiar with that model.  I do know some receivers do not send digital signals to Zone 2.  If that is the case, you need to connect the Port via the analog out to an analog input on the Yamaha.

That depends on the receiver and I’m not familiar with that model.  I do know some receivers do not send digital signals to Zone 2.  If that is the case, you need to connect the Port via the analog out to an analog input on the Yamaha.

Okay, who or where can i get the specifics on how to get this up and running with the Yamaha receiver I have?

Okay, who or where can i get the specifics on how to get this up and running with the Yamaha receiver I have?

I would start by trying to connect the analog outs on the Port to an analog input on the Yamaha, then select that analog in as the source for Zone 2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you have any currently working device connected to your Yamaha with the analog.RCA cables? If so set the Yamaha to play from it, then without changing any settings swap the RCA cables to the Port’s outputs. Now just changing settings on the Port fiddle until you get your sound coming through the Yamaha.

Now that you have the Port set properly move the cables, on the Yamaha end, to your desired input. Then it is time to dig into the Yamaha manuals and get your desired input to it mapped properly to let the Port’s sound be played.

Do you have any currently working device connected to your Yamaha with the analog.RCA cables? If so set the Yamaha to play from it, then without changing any settings swap the RCA cables to the Port’s outputs. Now just changing settings on the Port fiddle until you get your sound coming through the Yamaha.

Now that you have the Port set properly move the cables, on the Yamaha end, to your desired input. Then it is time to dig into the Yamaha manuals and get your desired input to it mapped properly to let the Port’s sound be played.

Thank you. i might have to call Yamaha to help walk me through this.

Here is the receiver manual. It claims that there is an online setup guide in the App store.

I couldn’t get the port to work so I returned it and got a new amp and now the patio speakers work thank you all for your help