Question

Do you have to be connected by ethernet for surround to be recognized and work? - Sonos One SL’s

• 21 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello, I bought 2 x One SL’s to create surround sound with my beam and they went through the initial  set up but last second said something along the lines of “These can’t be used as a surround sound like this. You need to be connected to your router via Ethernet”. So do I need to have the beam connected directly to the router 24/7 just for the surround sound to be recognised and work?

I currently have them packed away to be returned as it just wasn’t setting up easily.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello, I bought 2 x One SL’s to create surround sound with my beam and they went through the initial  set up but last second said something along the lines of “These can’t be used as a surround sound like this. You need to be connected to your router via Ethernet”. So do I need to have the beam connected directly to the router 24/7 just for the surround sound to be recognised and work?

I currently have them packed away to be returned as it just wasn’t setting up easily.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

Hi

There is no need for an Ethernet connection for Surround speakers.  They connect directly to your Beam via a 5Ghz wireless connection which the Beam creates where setting up the surrounds. I assume that your Beam is working fine and that you haven’t turned wi-fi off on your Beam in the Sonos App?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It might need internet access during setup, to get the speakers updated to latest version? But not for normal operation. 

Connect it temporarily by Ethernet. Check in the Beam settings whether you have set 'enable WiFi' or 'Disable Wifi'. Make sure you have it set to enable.